Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone who is interested, please see the following Ebay item number 280834224471

The auction includes desk (faulty), recapped PSU, full schematics and opamp modification components

Comment

Originally posted by gonzosaxman View Post
      For anyone who is interested, please see the following Ebay item number 280834224471

The auction includes desk (faulty), recapped PSU, full schematics and opamp modification components
      Listing removed as of 02/26/12
      What where you getting at?

Comment

The ebay listing 280834224471 hasn't actually gone live yet. It goes live tonight at 9:00.

I am selling my desk and mod components and recapped PSU, full schematics and TDIF I/O board due to a lack of time to fix it / mod it. If anyone is interested, have a look, but only after 9:10 pm (26/02/12).

Comment

Hello,
          I am another user that got the DDX3216 into repair.
          First I've only got the SPS power supply and fixed it, tested with dummy load and checked every rail for any abnormal behaviour with an oscilloscope. Then the client took the supply and a week later reported the mixer doesn't work anymore(black lines on the LCD, all LEDs on etc.).
          Now I have the whole DDX3216 on my desk dissasembled, on the CPU board I removed L4 and L3 to measure the 3.3V digital supply rail of AMD ELAN SC300 and it has only 20ohm resistance to groud. By that I assume the CPU is faulty?

Comment

thanks to all, especially for the shematics.
            This to be not the newest discussion, but is definitely one of the most interesting about the DDX.

I´ve got one faulty unit on my desk, which is gonna die in steps as it seems.

First I had the problem, that data isn´t stored in the flash anymore; I have to look for it
            Last week, it stopped making any sound, and I did several testings til now.

The analog part seem to be ok; signal presence LED´s are lit, but there´s no signal on the channel led-bars.
            I´ve checked the PSU for voltage and ripples; ok, somewhere around +-5%, ripple below 50mV
            I´ve checked the crystals, as John stated; look good.

If I´d unplugged the anaout board, the inputs return to work (and the adat board also does) -> must be fault on the anaout board.
            I checked the clock signals (blck_io, lrclk_io), and two of them are badly down; at about 1Vss, with the anaout connected, about 4-5Vss disconnected -> shortcut on anaout ?
            The mclk256_io seems to be ok.
            I just checked the resistance, (power disonnected) and all three clock signals paths are at their 470Ohms -> ???

Has anyone ever recogniced a failure with the DA converters for SPDIF (IC13 / IC14 on the anaout board)? This are the only ICs, connected directly to the clock signals; all others are connected over 100ohm.

Back to the first fault; has someone got experiences with this flashprom trouble ?
            Could just be the prom itself, but do those things just quit their being ??

Any hints are welcome; thanks in advance.
            I don´t want to throw to much parts in while searching the fault.

kind regards

Comment

John I believe you might possess a large portion of mankinds cumulative knowledge re:the ddx3216
              please once again what treatment might be applied to psu ??? any components that traditionally need replacement there??
              also read with great interest the info re:crystal Q3
              have one console that is now failing to retain memory patches
              and another that will show no clock found message and or at its on choosing all leds ramp up to full
              and we lock up and no audio passes
              I love these boards bang for the buck but fear they could be approaching their end days
              any advice would be hugely , enormously appreciated
              Thanks
              Bill Culver

Comment

Got ist back to live

Hi all,

I´ve got the beast back to live

As I assumed, IC13, the SPDIF-In chip shortened the clock. The most expensive chip on that board, I think.

The "not saving" problem is also solved; found a complete CPU board on ebay, but I´ll recheck the EEProms: they must be faulty.

@Bill

Originally posted by BCulver View Post
                please once again what treatment might be applied to psu ??? any components that traditionally need replacement there??
                maybe, you should take a look to Mixer is dying. Time for a mod.
                Someone did a complete recap of the PSU, and documented fine.

have one console that is now failing to retain memory patches
                Maybe, you should check the EEProms, marked CPU15 / CPU16 on the CPU board; patches are stored there; if they are

and another that will show no clock found message and or at its on choosing all leds ramp up to full
                and we lock up and no audio passes
                The (digital)audio related clock signals are generated on the IOCONN01-Board, and distributed to the audio i/o boards, the modules, dsp-board and cpu board.
                If you have checked all power rails to be good, you could check the audio syncs.
                Switch off your desk, disconnect the flatcable to the anaout board, and power on your desk.
                Check one audio in channel (signal, or phantompower on/off)
                -> works ? anaoutboard defect
                -> don´t ? check your modules, if there are any
                I think, this check doesn´t work for the anain board, because if this board is disconnected, the console locks in power up (display DDX3216)
                Your audio clock signals have got nothing to do with Q3. This one is responsible for the main cpu, controlling memory, user interface aso.

starting my long run tests now

Jens

Comment

Thanks to all
                  very useful info
                  will attempt recap on psu as all DDX 3216's are old enuff to benefit
                  also liked the Op amp upgrade
                  really like the functionality of these boards it's gotta have at least
                  another 100k miles left on it

Comment

Hello,
                    Here's another DDX3216 with big problems. When turning on the display is black, a lot of the leds are lit and thats all.
                    The psu seems te be ok but i dont see a signal on Q3 of the cpu (measure on scoop with a probe 10:1).
                    Replacing a new xtal 32.768 has no effect. The dc level of pin 201 and 202 are 0 volt, i don't see an puls when powering up so the oscillator cant start but why??? I began to think the am386 is dead, are there any measurements to determine this.
                    In my test i disconnected all boards except cpu board has power, the 4 mHz xtal is running but again the 32.768 not.
                    Please give me some hints,
                    thanks.
                    Han

Comment

Hello again,
                      I have concluded that i have to replace the am386sc300 on the cpu board so i ask to the forum has anyone did this before.
                      All info is welcome.

Comment

That IC is a BGA (Ball Grid Array)
                        The solder balls on the underside of the package hold it to the board.
                        Your options for removing the Ic are:
                        -Hot Air
                        -Hot Plate
                        -Infrared

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                          That IC is a BGA (Ball Grid Array)
                          The solder balls on the underside of the package hold it to the board.
                          Your options for removing the Ic are:
                          -Hot Air
                          -Hot Plate
                          -Infrared
                          Thanks for the tip.
                          I have also looked at Soldering a QFP and going to practice on an old motherboard.
                          Also this is usefull http://www.avrfreaks.net/modules/Fre...ng%20Guide.pdf
                          And of course i need a new chip so where can i get one (farnell doesn't have it)?

Comment

Here is a Motorola take on reworking a BGA ic.
                            The good news is you can heat the whole BGA package, as you will not be reusing it.
                            Getting the pcb pads cleaned up & flat will be the task.
                            A solder sucker & solder wick should help.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                              Here is a Motorola take on reworking a BGA ic.
                              The good news is you can heat the whole BGA package, as you will not be reusing it.
                              Getting the pcb pads cleaned up & flat will be the task.
                              A solder sucker & solder wick should help.
                              Thank for the info but the chip has an FQFP shape and not BGA (so i'm lucky ??).
                              Anyway now i'm looking for the processor and i don't think i can reuse an old one from a pc motherboard.
                              I've looked at de desoldering methode, the one with wick and a wrap wire i'm going to practice.
                              Keep you informed...

Comment

Hello again.
                                It was very hard to do but i've made it! The processor on the cpu board is removed and the pcb is still in a good state.
                                See attached picture.
                                I've been looking around the net to get a new one but i can get it only in china.
                                16 dollar for 1 #, I ordered 2# to be sure and the shipping costs were more than the ic costs.
                                In a few days you'll see the results.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	824791

Comment

Working...
                                X