Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, forgive the newbie question but I recently acquired behringer DDX3216 for my band as we needed more inputs than the old desk supported. There seems to be an issue with the desk as all the red clip lights are on after boot up and stay on permanently. I haven't hooked it up to the amp yet but with a line-in signal nothing comes out of the headphones output and the sig input light doesn't come on. I need to spend some time with the manual but all the other functions and buttons seem to operate as they should. I'm quite technical having built a number of PCs and can do a bit soldering but having read through this thread I'm probably not up to most of the suggested procedures. So, is there anything simple I can try to isolate the problem and can anyone recomend a good repair shop in the Hampshire, Berkshire or London area.

My band ar p1ssed at me for buying a non-working mixer so any help greatfully appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

• Check the PSU ,for a low +/- 17v Rail low or missing,check the ANAIO board power connectors and PSU with a DMM to the Ana-ground.The power caps at the power input to the board fail replace with better Q caps.
      The schematics are available here somewhere.
      Also if the psu 17+ adjustment pot has drifted low, the current limit kicks in on power up.
      Adjust until both rails are about +/- 17.4v (+/- 0.2 v between rails) if you cant get them within that,....A psu recap usually cures it.

Comment

• Hi,

Really appreciate your response. I get nothing on ANAIO +/-17v or +48v but +3v and +5v work so I guess that is the issue or one of them. No sign of blown caps and I've re-soldered the joints if they look iffy. Which caps should I start with or do I need to do the whole board?

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

• Well if your getting no +/- 17v or 48v then that section of the PSU ,has gone awol.
          There are 3 sections to the psu,which becomes obvious when you open it up.
          I suspect the PWM switch chip KA1M0880 may have failed,usualy accompanied by the TVS suppressor and feedback opto.
          If thats the failure a Total recap is required apart from the two bulk DC caps. Recommend a recap anyway as the electros are economy 105deg types
          This can also be caused by a short on the ANAIO board...!,
          Hope this sets you in the right direction,
          And please be carefull 360v DC bites !!...........

Cheers
          Paul

Comment

• Check out #34 in this thread if that could help.

// Nisse

Comment

• Originally posted by philbo View Post
              Wow - - What all this says to me: "Stay the hell away from Behringer gear until they learn how to design reliable electronics"
              The market gets the cost/quality tradeoff it wants. Behringer sell a lot of stuff, that says to me that they got the tradeoff right. They recently bought Midas and Klark Teknik, and are bringing out some amazing new digital mixers.

Notice how the "cheap Chinese trash monger" was making enough money to buy out two high-end companies.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• Long time waiting for the chip from china but at the end it's replaced.
                The cpu board is working but... the DSP board is not (error text "DSP not responding" in display).
                When placing this board in my second ddx it gives the same text in display so the board is bad.
                Power is + 3.3 and + 5 volt.
                I can compare signals with a scoop, is there anybody to give me hints where to start....

Comment

• Long time waiting for the chip from china but at the end it's replaced.
                  The cpu board is working but... the DSP board is not (error text "DSP not responding" in display).
                  When placing this board in my second ddx it gives the same text in display so the board is bad.
                  Power is + 3.3 and + 5 volt.
                  I can compare signals with a scoop, is there anybody to give me hints where to start....

Comment

• Check the DSP chips for shorts and check the XTAL for correct frequency....
                    Also I cannot emphasize enough on replacing the electros with quality components !

Comment

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
                      Check the DSP chips for shorts and check the XTAL for correct frequency....
                      Also I cannot emphasize enough on replacing the electros with quality components !
                      Thanks for the tip, the board was getting a lot of power from 3.3 v (1200 mA) there was 1 chip adsp21065L which was feeling hot after a few minutes so i removed it now the board gets 300 mA so i think that was a bad one.
                      Farnell has a replacement ($50) but looking in china they sell it for $11, so i ordered it and when i replaced it i'l let you know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nisse View Post
                        Fantastic!! Where/how did you get the schematics? I've searched a lot on the net for this, but never found anything! Thanks a lot!
                        Well, as mention earlier, it's quite usual that there are bad solderings on the PSU board. The first step would be to check them. It's very hard to see if the soldering is bad just with your eyes. You will need at least a good magnifying glass, or microscope.
                        Here's an image of a typical bad soldering that I had on my PSU.
                        (Click on it to enlarge)
                        /Nisse
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]14118[/ATTACH]
                        In reference to a previous comment of mine about solder joint failure and the encyclopedia response I got in defense of a brand that sucks in my opinion.
                        Throw away cheap functional while they work junk.
                        This just proves that if you don't think solder joint failure is common, then you're not looking hard enough. (note the brand)
                        Thanks for posting this Nisse
                        That will be all for now

Comment

• Hi, I am also an owner of the DDX3216, which I bought obviously used some time ago for my band. It worked well in all the ins and the outs that we were using. BUT… recently I tried to connect an amplifier to the TAPE OUT output (for the first time ever, given that we always used a DAT recorder connected to the S-Pdif digital output as a DA converter), and got a very tiny (and I mean barely audible) signal from the speakers, with the volume of the amp cranked all the way up. After changing the cable, testing the amp and the speakers, the problem is definitely in the DDX3216. The tiny signal I'm getting is clear as it should be, no distortion or digital noise, so I assume that at least the DA converter on that output is good.
                          So what could be that prevents the signal from going out from that output with a decent volume?
                          P.S. Tested even with the DEFAULT snapshot, thinking that it could have been something wrong on the settings we made.
                          Last edited by LupoAlbertoVB; 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LupoAlbertoVB View Post
                            Hi, I am also an owner of the DDX3216, which I bought obviously used some time ago for my band. It worked well in all the ins and the outs that we were using. BUT… recently I tried to connect an amplifier to the TAPE OUT output (for the first time ever, given that we always used a DAT recorder connected to the S-Pdif digital output as a DA converter), and got a very tiny (and I mean barely audible) signal from the speakers, with the volume of the amp cranked all the way up. After changing the cable, testing the amp and the speakers, the problem is definitely in the DDX3216. The tiny signal I'm getting is clear as it should be, no distortion or digital noise, so I assume that at least the DA converter on that output is good.
                            So what could be that prevents the signal from going out from that output with a decent volume?
                            P.S. Tested even with the DEFAULT snapshot, thinking that it could have been something wrong on the settings we made.
                            Hi,
                            As I can see there are either the output transistors (T9 - T12) or the OPs at the output (IC1, IC2 or IC9) that could fail (if not the D/A). See the attached image.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	MainOut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	830931

Regards,
                            Nisse

Comment

• It's hard to believe that someone would attempt to repair unit like this, which was a piece of crap to begin with, over the course of two years. There's a reason they didn't last on the market for too long. Now, the Behringer X32 is quite a different story.
                              John R. Frondelli
                              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

• Hi I am new here and have got this DDX3216 from a friend who said it was working perfectly and had shipped it to me.
                                When I unpacked and powered it up, everything came on except the LCD which only lights up abt half and is completly black.
                                Have been trying to fix the issue but I am not very experienced with LCD's
                                Is it a fault of the LCD or any other IC, PSU related issue?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X