Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did you check the 32.768kHz crystal oscillator? some people reported problems with the crystal.
    can you check the reset circuit?

my dead cpu (wrong power supply) was running, but resetting fast during the boot process, therefore nothing visible on lcd.

Comment

• Originally posted by EEngo View Post
      did you check the 32.768kHz crystal oscillator? some people reported problems with the crystal.

my dead cpu (wrong power supply) was running, but resetting fast during the boot process, therefore nothing visible on lcd.
      The 32768Hz X-tal is not the system clock X-tal. The system clock X-tal is inside the CPU as with classic PC intel CPU. This CPU exists in two versions, a 20Mhz and 30Mhz system clock version. The DDX uses the 30Mhz version. The 32768 Hz X-tal is for the RTC base inside the CPU, not the system itself. When the RTC clock fails, the CPU hangs right there and stalls with the display showing the DDX boot screen. This is not in my case. I described my case before.

Checking the reset circuit. Nice suggestion. I may have overlooked this. The pin level should be low I suppose. I can only look into it in February. Thx!

Comment

I did not know these CPU's reset themselves. I thought an external circuit feeds the reset pin. Anyway, wrong supply voltages must mess up many circuits obviously.

Comment

did you check the 32.768kHz crystal oscillator? some people reported problems with the crystal.

I'm back home after 2 months being away. While away I did have a moment to revisit the issue and thought about checking the reset circuitry. What I fell upon was that to my surprise the 32K X-tal indeed is the base on which the CPU 33Mhz is generated internally. I ordered X-tals at Ebay but they never arrived. I already had separated the XT PC circuit board of the mixer and hooked it up to a classic PC power supply using the classic voltages available and having it powered on by a jumper. This results in the exact same phenomenon but with a humid finger on the row of PLL pins on the CPU the rolling of the LCD stops and the boot image appears again. There is no reset when removing my finger off these pins, the rolling just reappears. Reapplying my finger makes the root boot appear again. It looks like an LCD refresh issue, the PLL that takes care for these signals. I added the program chips the root boot continues up to the DDX screen. Of course the other boards are not connected so it just halts there.

I will add that I have no control whether or not the LCD rolls. That is to say when I provide the supply voltages by switching on the mixer's CPU board (which is Behringer's custom PC XT board by the way) first the static horizontal lines appear on the LCD and then I have to wait if within a minute the LCD will start rolling or not. If not there's no way to start it rolling do far. If it does then I apply damped finger to the CPU's PLL pins to make the rolling stop and see where the boot program is. That was the phenomenon from the start when everything was still assembled but I didn't realise the rolling LCD was actually still showing someting which was obviously hard to see. If the main software roms are not slotted it requests for them. If they are slotted the DDX screen appears. Only waiting for a good while before switching back on will incease the chance of having a rolling LCD after less than a minute. Otherwise the static horizontal lines stay there forever.
          Last edited by Phoebus1966; 02-03-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• sounds like an open soldering connection to me. So that one of the sync signals is not passed to the LCD.

good luck!

Comment

• Some funny things happen here between my android samsung J5 and the site. My contents of my replies get erased when I want to edit them.

Anyway, the CPU board problem is solved. Knocking on smd's surrounding the 32Khz x-tal got the oscillator running stable again.

The open soldering must have had the oscillator not running stable if it did by coincidence. Capacitor value was compromised I believe. And so the PLL circuits didn't lock properly. Now the software really does run and notifies of blocked fader paths which is obvious since the CPU board is off the other boards.

I need a power supply (for pieces). Does anyone have? I only need the transformers.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                Most of the files including firmware are available here.

https://www.musictribe.com/Categorie...0066/downloads
                Dead wrong. All the files on the download site are the wrong ones an Behringer Support refuses to forward this to back office. They are lazy robots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nisse View Post
                  Hi,
                  So how do you replace your capacitors if you don't dismount your PSU?
                  By the way, I think you have to clean your PSU-fan a bit!

Well, does anybody know the difference between the V112.bex and V109.bex? For me it looks like V112.bex is a newer firmware, but on behringes homepage it says:
                  V109.bex = Latest firmware
                  V112.bex = Audio software (surround software)

Do I need to install them both?
                  How can I see the installed version(s)

Ps.
                  If anyone needs the DDXUpdate, I can share it for you.

/Nisse
                  Yes I and many others would love to have the DDXupdate V1.11 emergency tool uploaded or sent to us by email so we can upload it here.

We also need to call Uli Behringer to alert him of the deplorable and lazy support.

Comment

• Originally posted by Han View Post
                    Hello,
                    you also need the communication program which was written for xp so in a w10 pc you should run it as software compatible for xp, i attached the software also...
                    Do you still have the DDXupdate V1.11? I need it and have asked many already. It is the stand alone emergency application which is the only possible solution on a bricked ("Invalid Program") DDX3216.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      Most of the files including firmware are available here.

https://www.musictribe.com/Categorie...0066/downloads
                      No they are not. The Behringer download site is a mess and Uli Behringer doesn't care.

Comment

see PM
                        Months ago we discussed the CPU. That got fixed. But do you have the emergency application named DDXupdate V1.11? We, me and others, needs it dire. Greets, Ben

Comment

• Hi just to make things clear, There is no such thing as a magic 1.11 DDX update file, you need to burn a new or reflash the existing one
                          There is no serial port comms with a faulty OS eeprom I have the eeprom bin some where but you need a programmer to do this !
                          They are pretty cheap nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
                            Hi just to make things clear, There is no such thing as a magic 1.11 DDX update file, you need to burn a new or reflash the existing one
                            There is no serial port comms with a faulty OS eeprom I have the eeprom bin some where but you need a programmer to do this !
                            They are pretty cheap nowadays.
                            Oh yes there is an emergency tool for bricked DDX3216 mixers. PLZI.com mentions it, Nisse mentions it and others on the web also. It is a Windows application and yes it is called DDXupdate v1.11 and it is intended to be used in combination with a DDX that went bricked caused by corrupted flash memories due to an interrupted normal update. The bricked DDX is set ready by powering in on with the GROUP switch pressed. There you go

Comment

• You also belive in faries I suspect....... think about it ? and I shall explain.
                              The update 1.11 is a firmware bin factory file for the basic DDX, the 1.12 update for surround sound is a file transfer update, and the only update from factory I know of that works with windows.
                              Updates rely on the fact that RS232 or MIDI communications are functioning which is dependant on there being a valid OS in the main EPROM. ie 1.11
                              These are flashed in factory with an OS1.11.bin file. A system backup file can then be made via RS232 or MIDI.

If you EPROM is unreadable for whatever reason..?..
                              Then you will require a valid working one, to get communications with any RS232 or MIDI device, and onboard interface....comprehenda.
                              The group switch combination just sets it to factory default, It does not initiate a EPROM load, maybe you have a partially corrupted device .
                              Take it from me, the system can only be reloaded,by eeprom programmer, and only updated with rs232 ,if it dont talk to windows the you are fecked.
                              I take it you do have the windows DDX file transfer application 1.1f, and if so can you communicate with the desk ?!
                              DO YOU HAVE A FILE EXCHANGE BACKUP ?
                              I suspect not.
                              Last edited by S2udio; 05-08-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
                                You also belive in faries I suspect....... think about it ? and I shall explain.
                                The update 1.11 is a firmware bin factory file for the basic DDX, the 1.12 update for surround sound is a file transfer update, and the only update from factory I know of that works with windows.
                                Updates rely on the fact that RS232 or MIDI communications are functioning which is dependant on there being a valid OS in the main EPROM. ie 1.11
                                These are flashed in factory with an OS1.11.bin file. A system backup file can then be made via RS232 or MIDI.

If you EPROM is unreadable for whatever reason..?..
                                Then you will require a valid working one, to get communications with any RS232 or MIDI device, and onboard interface....comprehenda.
                                The group switch combination just sets it to factory default, It does not initiate a EPROM load, maybe you have a partially corrupted device .
                                Take it from me, the system can only be reloaded,by eeprom programmer, and only updated with rs232 ,if it dont talk to windows the you are fecked.
                                I take it you do have the windows DDX file transfer application 1.1f, and if so can you communicate with the desk ?!
                                DO YOU HAVE A FILE EXCHANGE BACKUP ?
                                I suspect not.
                                Nope, no faries. I just now pulled IC 15, 16, 17 and 18 and left IC 19 in to demonstrate that GROUP indeed is the button to engage the DDX in ready to receive mode via the RS232. This to see if I misunderstood their published experiences with the emergency app called DDXupdate. Nisse expressed clearly there is no need for a working second mixer to fix a broken one with (E)EPROM burners and he was very happy and thrilled he could use this application.

Comment

Working...
                                X