Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Pickups and Projects Are You Working On?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    I'm still playing with magnets looking for the Right Tone.
    I tried the A8, C5, and A2.
    I liked the A2 the best but a little Weak as expected on the Big Strings.
    I will go for broke and go ahead and try C8, And My Least Favorite the A5, Last.
    Later,
    B_T
    You should try Unoriented A5
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      You should try Unoriented A5
      You Sound Like My Customers.
      Want me do or Use What I don't Have.
      I got the set all made and like the tech told me to make them.
      Then the Customer Decided he wanted Something else, and of Course a different Color.
      I did learn a lot about how to split the Humbucker with the Middle Pickup.
      Sounded Pretty good.
      I figured out a couple ways how to wire the switch.
      Later,
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

My next Project and Pickup I want to try my luck at is a Humbucker Sized P90.
        Lot's of folks out there already making them.
        I bought some Mojo P90 Bobbins.
        I'm going to keep the Bobbin as long as possible and still fit on a regular Nickel Base Plate.
        I think about a 1/4 inch will have to be trimmed on each end.
        I wonder what amount of 42 or 43 gauge wire I can get on them and still get a Metal cover on the baseplate.
        So I'm wondering where I can buy a quality Nickel Plated cover without any holes.
        I Sure Don't understand why Mojo doesn't sell a No Holes Cover.
        I may try the open cover.
        Mojotone Nickel Silver Open Humbucker Pickup Cover Nickel
        Then maybe use some pickguard material to cover the bobbin inside the top of the cover.
        Like some Pearl (Mother of Plastic), or Imitation Turtle.
        If you have already been making the Hum-90, and want to share any ideas, list them here.
        Thanks,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

After you cut your bobbins down ,there is not a whole lot of room for 42 gauge wire .
          maybe around 8000 turns or so
          I wind them the same way you would do with a real p-90 ,only use 43 gauge

I have only used plastic or open covers
          stew mac sells the no hole covers as well as guitar parts resource .but GPR won't even return an email of mine .
          .......Assclown's
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I have a Working Proto type P-90 to fit in a Humbucker Guitar.
            I wound it with 42 Ga SPN for a Neck posistion.
            I was really impressed with how good it sounds.
            If you want a bright Jazzy sound go with a Pair of A5 Bar Magnets.
            If you want more of the Humbucker PAF Sound that I like I used a Pair of Magnetic Hold A2s.
            The Main difference I notice with the Double Magnet arrangement, compared to the single Magnet in a Humbucker.
            Is that on the Bass strings it never gets muddy, like is so common with Neck Humbuckers.
            I will try to post some pictures.
            I really don't see a need for a Bridge P90, I think the Bucker fits that Niche better.
            Give it a Try.
            B_T
            Terry

Comment

The Hum90 Sounded great, but I am having bobbin issues.
              The cheaply Made P90 bobbins I used cracked down the middle, and the edges started breaking off.
              I have never seen such a cheap made bobbin.
              I have used a half a dozen different Humbucker bobbins without major issue.
              So Looks like Plan B will be to make my own bobbin.
              The Pickup sounded good enough to warrant the extra effort.
              I will get back on what the end result is.
              T
              Terry

Comment

ugh cranking up the winder after many years, going to be making a pair of PITA tiny N45 49AWG single coils which will go UNDER the fretboard of my 8 string, one at fret zero, one at fret 12.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                  ugh cranking up the winder after many years, going to be making a pair of PITA tiny N45 49AWG single coils which will go UNDER the fretboard of my 8 string, one at fret zero, one at fret 12.
                  My Condolences having to use the 49awg.
                  Beats My Two Pair!
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                    Wow. I have 47 AWG, and thought that was thin!

Sounds like a cool project though.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Today I have an old Schecter brass pickguard assembly to work on. One of the old Monstertone pickups lost its entire coil, magnets and top fiber. All that was sitting in there is the fiber base with the leads hooked up. So I am digging through parts for a matching top fiber and magnets. They seem a bit tall, so I may end up cutting some from rod.

Comment

the lollartron- cant say much about it yet as its not released
                        The Latest Creation from Lollar Pickups... - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                          the lollartron- cant say much about it yet as its not released
                          The Latest Creation from Lollar Pickups... - YouTube
                          How about a Drum Roll!
                          Wow, no wonder I don't sell many Pickups.
                          I need a Souped up Splash Video!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

nah- first you have to make alot of pickups for alot of cats before you can get away with a video like that

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                              nah- first you have to make alot of pickups for alot of cats before you can get away with a video like that
                              I'm Retired, and Don't really care if I sell much or Not!
                              Not going to work to hard anymore.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Today I made a Narrow Spaced Strat Neck P/U for my SX Lefty Import.
                                Made this one With Non Staggered A2 Magnets.
                                I made my own flatwork, and used a No Hole white plastic cover.
                                Drilled the holes in the flatwork, and white cover.
                                The Pole Spacing is around 49MM Center to Center.
                                The Strings are Now Centered over all Poles.
                                It is wound with 42 HFV.
                                Sounds Great.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X