No announcement yet.

Follow Noob: Step-by-Step Building Winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... this is a little baffling? I went and tried to install a motor reverse switch today... and it doesn't work? I used a DPDT on-off-on in the standard motor reverse format (by that I mean an X between the 4 outter most lugs, motor sends on the two middle slugs, and the supply on two slugs at one end of the X). However... center-off works, but both on positions have the motor running CCW?! Something there doesn't seem right? Any thoughts? Can you not reverse a sewing machine motor? Can you not reverse a motor when running on AC? And if it is an AC current issue how in the work am I going to run something like a sewing machine motor off DC?!
    Frustrated,
    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by verhoevenc View Post
      So... this is a little baffling? I went and tried to install a motor reverse switch today... and it doesn't work? I used a DPDT on-off-on in the standard motor reverse format (by that I mean an X between the 4 outter most lugs, motor sends on the two middle slugs, and the supply on two slugs at one end of the X). However... center-off works, but both on positions have the motor running CCW?! Something there doesn't seem right? Any thoughts? Can you not reverse a sewing machine motor? Can you not reverse a motor when running on AC? And if it is an AC current issue how in the work am I going to run something like a sewing machine motor off DC?!
      Frustrated,
      Chris
      Chris:
      I don't have any experience with this, but they do this with lathes.
      I found this picture. You might find something more specific to what you have.
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Chris, Can you post info./specs on the motor? The nameplate should indicate if it's reverible. Thanks, Dan

Edit: Those small brush type ac sewing machine motors are not reversible.
        Last edited by Danelectron; 06-26-2011, 12:22 PM. Reason: Reviewed thread for clarification

Comment

Chris

Comment

Verh: I don't think SM motors are reversable. I think they are a simple form of AC induction motor where the direction of rotation is determined by an assymetry in the magnetic circuit that makes it go one direction at startup. An AC induction motor with an external capacitor can be reversed, as can a DC motor or a "Universal" motor. but not a "shaded pole" motor.

Shaded-pole motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which is why to reverse on a SM, you push a lever which engages a reverse gear train. If you must reverse, might be simpler to take a DC motor out of an old cordless drill and run it off a variable DC power supply, you don't need much, say 1A at 24V would be more than enough. and the variable knob on the power supply becomes your speed control.
            making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Simplest bet may be to just buy another sheave and put one of the other end of the axle...
              Chris

Comment

wow this has been a great thread, I am about to inherit my wifes old singer Sewing machine, so hopefully I will be able to get something set up soon too.

cheers

Comment

Chris, you don't necessary need to reverse the direction of the motor to make a reverse wound coil. There are at least two more ways: Mount the bobbin "upside down" or swap the leads. The last way is what I do. To understand the concept search for "path to ground" here and you will probably find it as it has been discussed earlier.

Comment

Fear not, I understand both the concept of just flippin' the bobbin around (doesn't work with a singlecoil though) and path to ground. It's, like my other thread where PE wire came up, about winding some era-correct strat pickups from back in the day that have kicked the bucket. Am I mistaken that they weren't truly reverse wound?
                    Chris

Comment

It would have been nice to see some photos of the whole completed winder.

Comment

Apologies guys! I've been ridiculously busy with life and all that comes with it. So much so it didn't even register that I'd never put up finished pictures of the winder! Here they are:

I ended up switching the original plywood plate that I was sticking the bobbins on to an aluminum one. Even slightly tightening the screws holding it on with the plywood one warped the plate since it only touched the pulley at the far ends. Made for an unflat surface and probably some of the unevenness in the coils as seen in my first winding attempt earlier.
                        Hope these helped.
                        Chris

Comment

There seems to be some interest in winders lately, and Chris did a great job listing a lot of info on this one.
                          Thought it might be a good thread to go over again.
                          I may have to give it a whirl myself.
                          Terry
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X