No announcement yet.

"Professional Quality"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you get in the circles of lower end guitars, you hear the GFS constantly.
    They talk about some of the Humbuckers, like they are getting a pickup, as if Seth Lover Himself made it.
    I haven't tried them, I've been told not to knock something until you try it!
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      If you get in the circles of lower end guitars, you hear the GFS constantly.
      They talk about some of the Humbuckers, like they are getting a pickup, as if Seth Lover Himself made it.
      I haven't tried them, I've been told not to knock something until you try it!
      Terry
      I think much of that hyperactive response is probably because this is the first venture into replacement pickups for these folks. We all remember our first "mods" and the excitement of it can overshadow exactly how good of a modification it actually was. I've heard the same rave reviews, but take them with a big lump of salt.

But again, GFS acknowledged this huge market while it was largely ignored by everyone else. Seems to be working...

Comment

There is surely a need for pickups such as those provided by GFS. I've installed them on at least 5 guitars now for myself and friends and I was only once disappointed. I sent them back and they sent me a more expensive model without billing me the extra. That's excellent customer service! I believe they stand behind their products and I don't know if that can be said about many other lower priced retailers.

Are they Fralins or Lollars? Of course not!

Pickups can be such a personal thing anyway- one guy's muddy and toneless is another guy's thick and crunchy.

jamie

Comment

Warning
          Actually, I buy some GFS pickups from time to time for the parts. Like DeArmond of Filtertron type pickups. Those covers are hard or impossible to get in low qualities. I then totally rip their contents and use the covers or sometimes the bobbins. These prototypes

were made to fit inside one of their pickups using only the covers/rings and making every thing else from scratch. Without the low prices from GFS I would have had to make these metal parts myself and then that particular project/prototype have never happened as I don't have the resources to fabricate that type of parts and the cost would not allowed me outsource those parts. And for the price GFS charge...why bother

Now its OK for everyone to flame me

Comment

Originally posted by imaradiostar View Post
            There is surely a need for pickups such as those provided by GFS. I've installed them on at least 5 guitars now for myself and friends and I was only once disappointed. I sent them back and they sent me a more expensive model without billing me the extra. That's excellent customer service! I believe they stand behind their products and I don't know if that can be said about many other lower priced retailers.

Are they Fralins or Lollars? Of course not!

Pickups can be such a personal thing anyway- one guy's muddy and toneless is another guy's thick and crunchy.

jamie
            I thought their support was their short-fall.
            I heard and read some real horror stories on trying to get damaged guitars returned and replaced.
            Maybe they got wise and fixed all that.
            Terry
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              Except those are $8 OEM pickups, probably made in the same factory as the rest. He just marks them up enough to not look so cheap.

I bought one of these for my Tele, and it actually sounds pretty good.
              At the time it was $14. Now they are $22. I'm sure it cost about $8 from the factory.
              If you really want to argue the exact prices, I'll go fuck off. That wasn't the point, I was taking a wild stab at what sort of retail price the usual plastic bobbin, ceramic mag crap Asian single-coil might sell for retail to compare it to GFS retail.

"Better than what came with your guitar and cheaper than a boutique wind" is a valid niche.
              My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

its absolutely a valid niche and the guy was smart about it- smart enough to see it or sense it and go with it when the response was good. I was just commenting about some of the wording and the photos partly as a heads up for everyone because I see bad photos or sloppy work in good photos in many advertisements for small botique shops and the wording of most of the ads is " I use the best materials availible- bla bla" They all say pretty much the same thing and then the photos show badly frayed cloth on the end of the pushback wire where its soldered to the eyelet or several really loose wraps near the edge of the coil -

Comment

I thought we all do that.
                  I tell Everyone I use the Absolute Best Cheap Sh*t Available!
                  Terry
                  Terry

Comment

You have to wonder how long it takes for someone to develop an immunity to ad copy.

Sometimes I think the folks who do gear reviews for magazines simply NEVER develop an immunity.

Comment

You're right Jason - their advertising should reflect their place in the market. It is like advertising a Squier as "custom hand made from the best materials"... squiers rule at what they do, but they aren't that. A bit more creative ad design and they could have something a lot better advertising as a great sounding "every man pickup" - they're probably doing more harm than good with that ad.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
                        You're right Jason - their advertising should reflect their place in the market. It is like advertising a Squier as "custom hand made from the best materials"... squiers rule at what they do, but they aren't that. A bit more creative ad design and they could have something a lot better advertising as a great sounding "every man pickup" - they're probably doing more harm than good with that ad.
                        Hey don't their work for them! lol
                        You know most pickup Bizz keep an eye, on the pulse here to see what's really going on.
                        They sell lots of pickups as is!
                        Some of the lower price point forums, GFS is all they talk about.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                          You have to wonder how long it takes for someone to develop an immunity to ad copy.

Sometimes I think the folks who do gear reviews for magazines simply NEVER develop an immunity.
                          I don't know guitar magazines that well. But do know how reviewing works in other niche market, "nut book" magazines. If the guys writing for the guitar mags are anything like the hifi and consumer electronics people, the magazine gig is poorly paid enough that selling review samples is part of the compensation. And the writers are hoping to move up from writing reviews to the well-paid job of writing ad copy. The way to prove yourself is to produce glowing copy that reads as if it were objective. So yeah, most reviews are auditions for an advertising writer's job.

They aren't immune to ad copy, because they live it. I don't mean that cynically, like the guys are faking it. That's their life, it's how they see things. They sincerely believe in the next big thing and there's always a next big thing. And yes they want to tell you about it and get well paid for doing so. It's a public service, really.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                            its absolutely a valid niche and the guy was smart about it- smart enough to see it or sense it and go with it when the response was good. I was just commenting about some of the wording and the photos partly as a heads up for everyone because I see bad photos or sloppy work in good photos in many advertisements for small botique shops and the wording of most of the ads is " I use the best materials availible- bla bla" They all say pretty much the same thing and then the photos show badly frayed cloth on the end of the pushback wire where its soldered to the eyelet or several really loose wraps near the edge of the coil -
                            No kidding. Everything is "best" "no compromise" "perfect vintagey correct yada yah."

Makes you wonder what would happen if an ad read "this is real good for the money," or "this is as good as you'll get for $50." Will people appreciate the honesty or will they demand "the best" but pay walmart prices.

Comment

99.95! No ups, No extras!

Comment

"I thought we all do that.
                                I tell Everyone I use the Absolute Best Cheap Sh*t Available!
                                Terry "
                                Well yeah sort of when they say i use the best shit availible I think and that makes you different in what way????
                                Oh i just read ads too much and am getting bitchy!
                                Problem is i know some of these guys too well.
                                I should just stop looking at ads but its facinating how many new companies start up- just about every new VG or every other has two or three new ads per month for pickup makers and 2 or 3 drop out every month so the amount advertising stays roughly the same- I guess its like slowing down to look at car wreks- I know better than that but with ads its harder to not look for some reason!

Comment

Working...
                                X