Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be sure to upgrade the bios on your eBook reader!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be sure to upgrade the bios on your eBook reader!

I bought an Astak 6" EZ Reader in the summer of 2009 on a killer deal- with the discount and rebate it brought the price down to under $150 which was the price point I had been waiting for. I was going to use it mainly to replace my 5x8 index cards with lyrics and chords for the songlists in the bands I was playing with but never bothered. I finally decided to use it last October and found it really handy for things like waiting in a doctor's office. And then I started reading the Millennium trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and got hooked on it. The only problem was that there were a lot of quirks in the formatting. Apostrophes would be followed with 5 blank spaces in the first book and in the second book all of the codes for italics, bold, etc. were displayed verbatim.

So I went hunting for some sort of update and found some forums with a lot of information and links. Wow! All of those crap characters are gone and the display is really sharp. One thing interesting is that there are several alternate operating systems that you can use, which are completely reversible (just run the original V3update.bin file and you are back to square one).

I think that eBooks readers work much better than tablets for reading books. The batteries run forever between charges- with the digital "paper" the only time current is used is when you switch to a new page.

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Makes sense! I have a kindle with most of my tube datasheets and a bunch of old out of print tube books on it for use in the shop when needed. I don't have to worry about charging the battery all the time while my wife ends up charging her ipad pretty often.

jamie

Comment

I have my Sony Reader loaded 80% with reference books, novels (lots of SF) and politics/history/sociology books, plus 20% datasheets.
      Yes, some of them are formatted perfectly, some can be real weird.
      The peskiest problem is that documents are not listed by filename, but by what *Sony* considers the "author".
      I have tons of stuff labelled under "Microsoft Word" or obscure authors such as that, with no direct relation to the actual content.
      Oh well.
      Oh well.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
      X