Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker reccomendation for Tweed Tremolux 5G9 build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker reccomendation for Tweed Tremolux 5G9 build?

HI,

I just put a Jensen P12Q in my DIY Tremolux 5g9 and It sounds horrible. Terrible efficiency, overly bright, no mids, and the breakup sound is ugly. I was replacing a Celestion GM12 Greenback but now I'll put it back.

Anyone else try the P12Q and hate it? I tried the Fender (eminance) in my HotRod Deluxe reissue and it sound pretty good, but the Celestion is the best. Other suggestions?

Wondering if it has to do with the amp having zero NFB?

I have a G12M Greenback in my 5G9 clone and I love it. I also used a .047uF for the instr. channel coupling cap and a 2.2uF for the V1 cathode bypass cap to cut the bottom end flab and it is trippy-tastic.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...t-nite-jam.mp3
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tubeswell; 03-11-2011, 08:55 PM.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I agree, those .1 coupling caps are a bit bassy, thought about reducing them... I put a .68u and 1.8k on the second input and did not like the sound so I haven't messed with those anymore. But, the second channel does not have the same voicing as the first with that 500pf cap, so It's worth a try.

Comment

I agree, those .1 coupling caps are a bit bassy, thought about reducing them... I put a .68u and 1.8k on the second input and did not like the sound so I haven't messed with those anymore. But, the second channel does not have the same voicing as the first with that 500pf cap, so It's worth a try. The trem in this amp is simply the best.

Comment

Working...
        X