X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bogen conversion

I just picked up two bogen p.a. amps a chb100,and an old e14.Any Ideas
    about converting to a guitar amp?

Been done many times. One place to look for ideas might be Schematic Heaven. He has a section on PA conversions.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If you can get past the looks, old PA's make great heads for cheap. Best of all, some are damn near bulletproof (or drummerproof). I did a Bogen Challenger?
      and an old Bell myself.

Ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        If you can get past the looks,
        This one used to be a PA 50+ from sound city. Redid the faceplate with the original PA one erasing the unwanted text, and fitted the pots in the jack's holes, redid a basketweave tolexed front and back panel, since it went amis, and here ya go! I forgot, fake logo too.

Comment

bogen conversion

Thanks for the reply.The one I am working on is an e14.Bogen e-mailed me and said it is so old they dont have it in their archive.
          It has a pair of 6l6,2 6sf5,6f8,6c8,and5y4g rectifier.It looks simple enough to map out.I hav'nt been able to find schematics.There is one at info society that is close.First I cleaned it up,next I am going to change input/output jacks.Plug in a speaker and see what I get.Any comments are appreciated.

Comment

Oh, I don't know.

I think mine looks just fine.

RCA 35 watt PA amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
              This one used to be a PA 50+ from sound city. Redid the faceplate with the original PA one erasing the unwanted text, and fitted the pots in the jack's holes, redid a basketweave tolexed front and back panel, since it went amis, and here ya go! I forgot, fake logo too.

Nice job!

Comment

just one more tweak

I think I have it where I want it.My wife says leave it alone and play it for a month. Rob mercure gave some helpful tips for the e14.
                I took the tone section out.Replaced the 50uf/50wv in the pre and middle with more fender type 22uf/1.5k res and 68 res athe input.This gave me a more workable sound.The "grid leak" type of bias made it sound a little to nasty for church,but it did handle a flanger/chorus pedal.The original sound was alot like the 50's gibsons
                I tried various cap and resistor combinations,what really helped was replacing the 50uf going from stage 1 to the middle stage.I traded some gain and volume,but its alot closer to a fender.
                Now I am temped to pull the whole 6sf5 pre out,put in cathode biased ax7's,or redo the whole thing.Although it is close to a 5d5.I better just play it for a month.

Comment

Which Challenger did you do? I won a ch-18 on Ebay, and cannot find a schematic anywhere. Got some Ideas where to look?

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X