EMG+Killswitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG+Killswitch

A friend would like to have a toggle to activate the momentary kill switch….I was wondering if it is possible. For some reason he wants the toggle to activate the kill switch or to bypass the kill switch. I hocked it up the way I thought, but I am having some issues. I have an EMG 85 on neck and EMG 81 on bridge…..I followed the wire diagram supplied by EMG (see picture). So, I tried to add the on/on toggle with the momentary button (push on, release off) into the EMG suggested wire diagram. This is what is happening:

1) When the on/on toggle is switched I get loud pop sound.
    2) The momentary kill switch doesn’t activate with the on/on switch. I get power on either side of kill switch but when pressed, pickups are still dead.
    3) When the 3way selector switch is in the middle position the pick ups are dead….no sound. Doesn’t matter what position the on/on switch is in.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by xsnrg; 03-15-2011, 11:09 PM.

Originally posted by xsnrg View Post
    A friend would like to have a toggle to activate the momentary kill switch….I was wondering if it is possible. For some reason he wants the toggle to activate the kill switch or to bypass the kill switch. I hocked it up the way I thought, but I am having some issues. I have an EMG 85 on neck and EMG 81 on bridge…..I followed the wire diagram supplied by EMG (see picture). So, I tried to add the on/on toggle with the momentary button (push on, release off) into the EMG suggested wire diagram. This is what is happening:

1) When the on/on toggle is switched I get loud pop sound.
    2) The momentary kill switch doesn’t activate with the on/on switch. I get power on either side of kill switch but when pressed, pickups are still dead.
    3) When the 3way selector switch is in the middle position the pick ups are dead….no sound. Doesn’t matter what position the on/on switch is in.
    It appears to me that the toggle switch is wired wrong.
    It looks like all the red bat. leads are tied together bypassing the switch.
    Try taking the red leads off the switch and use ohm meter to determine how the switch is normally open or closed.
    You can also use both poles of the switch.
    You can strap the bat lead to both poles, and then use one pole side to kill sw., and wire other pole to the pickups.
    I don't have a diagram of switch, but I would think the bat. Lead would tie to the middle of the the 3 terminals on each pole.
    So Like I said take all wires off of the switch and figure out how it works normally closed, and open.
    Let us know what you figure out.
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry,

The switch is an on/on switch, so there is no off to the switch. The power is in the center and will feed either the pick ups or the kill switch depending on switch position. I think the way the toggle switch is intended to be use is........neg and pos power to the 2 center posts and then you and turn side A or side B on.....hence, on/on switch. I got the switch from StewMac, part#
      1219 On/On chrome.

Comment

You say on on. You have the 2 pickups wired to the top?
        You have the power in the middle?
        You have the Kill on the bottom?
        Correct me if I'm wrong?
        When You have the switch up Power to the pickups, and no power to the kill?
        When You have the switch Down Power to the Kill, No power to the pickups?
        Can you take a Multi meter and check the switch to see if when down it opens one side and closes the other?
        And Vise versa. I don't think they both stay on at once?
        I sure would like a closeup pic of your wired toggle switch?
        Sorry If I'm asking too many questions, but something does not compute!
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        Last edited by big_teee; 03-17-2011, 10:38 PM. Reason: Edit to add Switch Image
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Yes
          Yes
          Yes
          No, you are not wrong
          Yes
          Yes....pressing kill will complete the circuit and turn pickups on
          Voltmeter check on switch checks as it should and vise versa

I really don’t think this will work with out the loud pop as the switch it flicked.....its as if you are unplugging the guitar with the amp on type sound.......Think I will just go with the normal kill switch set up.

I also figured out question 3. I wired the 3way toggle as per EMG site but StewMac 3ways are wired different.....I have the StewMac 3way.....followed their directions and 3way works as it should.

Comment

That sounds like quite a Rig!
            As Far #3.
            It looks to me like it would just put both pickups in Parallel.
            Is the center of the switch tied together?
            If it is, you might try disconnecting one side and see what's going on.
            It doesn't look like the middle posistion would have anything to do with the kill or power switch.
            Looks like you got it under control?
            I surfed around looking for some options on Kill Switches, You seem to be in unchartered Waters!
            Sorry I wasn't any help.
            Good Luck,
            Terry
            Last edited by big_teee; 03-18-2011, 01:10 AM.
            Terry

Comment

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish... or the reasoning behind it but switching the battery leads on EMGs is definitely NOT the way to go. I would suggest tying all the red battery leads together properly and look for a killswitch diagram made for passive pickups that does what you want.

Comment

Working...
              X