Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire gauge

Hello,
    I am currently stranded in Salem Oregon. The question I have is about wire.
    The best I can come up with locally is AWG 41 gauge. I intend to go forward with the
    winding project as the wire is local ,solving the problem of dealing with Ebay. I just feel that they want to much information, and access with the Pay Pal. Also the local option gives me the chance to hold the product in my hand before the purchase. With Ebay its a risk of getting the wrong product, original shipping charges, return shipping charges and return to me shipping charges. This way if there is a problem it can be solved now!
    I can imagine there are going to be a thousand reasons this is a wrong idea,
    however I would just like to know this being my option of choice what changes will I be looking at? I am thinking I will need more winds to get desired resistance.
    The first project will be a single coil because I have a junk Strat pickup. I
    want to rewind it to turn my tele into a Nashville. I would think that would be the easiest for the first one.

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
    Hello,
    The best I can come up with locally is AWG 41 gauge. I intend to go forward with the
    winding project as the wire is local ,solving the problem of dealing with Ebay. I just feel that they want to much information, and access with the Pay Pal. Also the local option gives me the chance to hold the product in my hand before the purchase. With Ebay its a risk of getting the wrong product, original shipping charges, return shipping charges and return to me shipping charges. This way if there is a problem it can be solved now!
    I can imagine there are going to be a thousand reasons this is a wrong idea,
    however I would just like to know this being my option of choice what changes will I be looking at? I am thinking I will need more winds to get desired resistance.
    The first project will be a single coil because I have a junk Strat pickup. I
    want to rewind it to turn my tele into a Nashville. I would think that would be the easiest for the first one.
    This post will probably get moved to the Beginners Corner.
    I don't see a problem with using 41 Ga for strat coils.
    Don't worry about DCR. You get inductance with each turn of wire around the bobbin.
    Wire is measured by DCR per Foot of wire. So there will be less dcr for 7000 turns of 41 compared to 7000 turns of 42.
    Inductance will be close because same amount of turns.
    You can use the Coil estimator and get close to comparing 42 to 41 gauge, DCR Resistance.
    Coil Estimator
    Good Luck
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thank you very much, This all very confusing but it is getting much better, I've almost got my winder together. This is very informative thread it just takes time to sort it all out . Once again Thank you

Comment

I use 41AWG for some neck pickups. It gives a rounder tone than with 42, and you are limited to how much wire you can wind on a coil. Keep in mind that it will read lower in resistance too, so you need to figure out how you want to wind your pickup based on turn count, and not DC resistance.

Don't be afraid of buying wire on eBay. I get most of my wire from here:

BAE MAGNET WIRE items - Get great deals on Electrical Test Equipment, Manufacturing Metalworking items on eBay Stores!
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hello,
          The best I can come up with locally is AWG 41 gauge.
          SpareRibs, I'm curious, what type of insulation is that coated with? I'm looking for Heavy formvar in 41 gauge, but haven't had much luck.

I am currently stranded in Salem Oregon.
          Stranded? I spent a few years in Portland and did a lot of hiking up in the sticks above Sweethome. An old logging road went up to a little known trail head that led to a really cool pool fed by a waterfall that fell about 20 feet. Fun place to jump. There was a big Doug fir that you could walk up out of there like a sidewalk. But, I digress. Welcome here.

Comment

WIRE COATING

Originally posted by Danelectron View Post
            SpareRibs, I'm curious, what type of insulation is that coated with? I'm looking for Heavy formvar in 41 gauge, but haven't had much luck.

Stranded? I spent a few years in Portland and did a lot of hiking up in the sticks above Sweethome. An old logging road went up to a little known trail head that led to a really cool pool fed by a waterfall that fell about 20 feet. Fun place to jump. There was a big Doug fir that you could walk up out of there like a sidewalk. But, I digress. Welcome here.
            Hello,
            The wire is coated with THERMALEX. It was the only 41 avalable
            nothing higher. It was as close as I could get. I almost have a winder together. I
            am going to make a replica of a Vox Teardrop MK VI. It has 3 single coil pickups
            I hope to be able to wind one like a P90, one single coil, and possibly a stacked
            humbucker.
            If I run across any wire like you are looking for I will post it here
            for you.

Comment

Spare rib,
              OTS wire and insulation is just south of Portland in Wilsonville. They can order you anything you need from MWS if they don't have it in stock.
              (800) 356-9473

Comment

Working...
              X