Beginner building a coil winder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner building a coil winder.

Hello, I pulled apart an old record player and found some parts I think could work for a coil winder. Basically the only thing I plan on using is the motor. Heres the plan: Use this motor with some sort of pot or something to control the speed, Also I would like an on/off switch. there is a power cable also connected to the motor. I don't really know a ton about this but if anyone would he so kind to draw out a diagram and parts list I could probably build what I want. I would like something simple sort of like the schatten pickup winder because I would like to be able to learn to actually WIND pickups by hand because using an automated winder IMO really takes out the art of it all. I will post a picture of the parts I have and if anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Concern: Will this motor be fast enough? It seems like it would be.

Here is the link to the picture!: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

I'm build a coil winder also. I was going to base it on on an old cassette deck. I am going to drill a hole though the front cover a little large than the diameter of the Play/Fast Forward spindle. A piece fo plastic tube will have a toothed center from a cassette to match the spindle. That tube will be bonded to a treaded wire cover of the type which is used for connecting two AC electric wires, like in a household application. I'm doing this because the thread on the inside of the cap is the same as a long screw that I happen to have. Then with a series of nuts and washers I'll secure the armature(?) to the screw and load the wire on to it starting on Play then going to Fast Forward. I'll have to figure a way to support the end of the screw with a homemade bracket or the like. Like you, I'm hoping there will be enough power/torque/speed to give a fairly tight wind. The main reason I'm taking this approach is that there's a convient counter on the front of the deck, allowing the control of the coil to be wound. Any thoughts or comments from anyone?

Comment

Working...
    X