Necessity of Output Buffer on Wah Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessity of Output Buffer on Wah Effect

Is a wah outboard buffer recommended only if the wah is used simultaneously with a fuzz pedal? If the fuzz effect is OFF while the wah is ON with the fxs chain hypothetically & initially going from the Wah to the Fuzz + other pedals, can this additional circuit be negated with no ill side-effects (no pun intended)?

Or can the addition of the outboard buffer simply be passed on by placing the wah later in the effects chain or by running it into something like a JFET 'mini-booster'?

With the rich throatiness of a properly designed wah, I can't imagine wanting or needing to use it with a fuzz-style effect anyway.

A regular wah has a high impedance output taken directly fron its resonant circuit; connect that to an fx with a very low input impedance, eg fuzz face, and the wah effect is lost or much reduced. So best to add an internal or external buffer (eg another 'non true bypass' fx pedal) between the wah and fuzzface. Pete.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

In my experience, the best way is to just build the buffer into the way, and make the way otherwise true bypass when off. That way the buffer doesn't "thin out" the fuzz when the way isn't active. That can really ruin the sound of a good fuzz!

Jake

Comment

Working...
      X