Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolux 5G9 - tremolo not working

Hey all,
    I'm working on a 5G9 Tremolux right now. All of the voltages are perfect with a 5Y3 rectifier (much higher with the 5U4 it calls for). It sounds great - it's just that the tremolo isn't working at all. When I turn up the intensity, it just bumps the gain up. The speed has no effect whatsoever. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Sounds, from your brief description, like wiring errors.

What are the (plate, grid cathode) idle voltages on the LFO stage and associated CF stage?
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Tubeswell,
      Thanks for your response. Not sure what your acronyms stand for, but here are the voltages on all tubes:
      V1 (Pre) - (1) 167v (2) 0.06 mv (3) 2.5v (6) 161.3v (7) 0.06 mv (8) 2.5v

V2 (PI) - (1) 217v (2) 15.8v (3) 24.5v (6) 201v (7) 16.8v (8) 24.5v

V3 (Trem) - (1) 255v (2) 3.6mv (3) 1.75v (6) 369v (7) 255v (8) 257v

6v6 (both) - (3) 375 (4) 376 (5) -27v (6) 377v

Thanks for your time. The only other issue seems to be that the voltage seems to fluctuate a bit - as much as 10 to 15 volts. When I turn the trem circuit on, it there is a significant drop, which I would expect.

Comment

So is the coupling cap from the CF (cathode follower) stage of the trem circuit going through the voltage divider that is the 1M-250k pot, and is the wiper of the depth pot going to the bottom of the 2 x 220k grid load resistors for the 6V6s?

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Yes and yes. Just as the schematic. Pin 8 from the 12ax7 to a .1 orange drop, to a 1M resistor to the right hand lug of the 250k depth pot. The middle lug of that pot is connected to the middle of the 2 220k resistors. I've added a couple of 1.5k resistors between the 220k's and pin 5 of the 6v6 tubes. Would this be the problem?

Comment

Then you must have something miswired/not working in the oscillator (LFO) section. Since the voltages on the LFO triode appear okay, maybe check around the RC network for leaky caps or mis-wiring.

The 1k5 grid stoppers shouldn't affect the operation of the bias-wiggle.

Comment

I changed out all caps in the trem section. The pots and resistors are all reading as they should.

I have a 10k Pot in the bias section. It runs as such: Rectifier Pin 4 - 100k resistor - diode - right lug of bias pot. Centre is tied to a 50/50 Cap (tied to ground) and the left lug of the 250k Intensity pot. The left lug has a 22k resistor tied to ground.

The only other thing I haven't done is tie 100ohm resistors from the heaters to ground.

Otherwise, I've been through the circuit a zillion times. Any suggestions?

Comment

Something is definitely miswired. If the LFO is hooked up properly, it will oscillate. Go back and quadruple-check the layout with your R meter. And have a copy of the 5G9 schematic and layout handy as you go, so that you can tick off each wire.

Comment

you probably have already done this, but have you tried shorting the trem footsw jack with a clip lead?

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpete View Post
                    you probably have already done this, but have you tried shorting the trem footsw jack with a clip lead?
                    Shorting the trem footswitch jack in a 5G9 circuit actually turns the trem off (by grounding the middle of the LFO RC network).

Comment

AT LAST!!! It's up and running! I was killing myself over the trem circuit itself, and all that was wrong was the resister on the speed pot wasn't as solid as it should have been. Now, I am hypnotized. Great trem. Pretty impressive. Thanks for your help, Tubeswell and Pontiac Pete. The Tremolux is truly a hidden gem amongst the Tweed circuits - perhaps because it's so close to the brown Deluxe, though better tremolo for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by haricros View Post
                        AT LAST!!! It's up and running!... Now, I am hypnotized. Great trem. Pretty impressive. ... The Tremolux is truly a hidden gem amongst the Tweed circuits - perhaps because it's so close to the brown Deluxe, though better tremolo for sure.
                        That's what I been sayin' since I built mine, and its still my #1 gigging amp at the local blues club jam nights. That slam is mesmerising.

Comment

Working...
                        X