Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Mesa Stiletto Deuce

Hey guys,

My stiletto deuce has been giving me some real troubles lately. The clean sounds very vibrato(and there's no vibrato on the amp) and the volume level isnt consistant. The dirty is sounding good but will dip in volume for a couple of minutes then kick back in. I brought the head into a repair shop and he said there's nothing wrong with the head. He's may have missed it or its something else. My guitar and chords work fine on my other amp and Im not sure what to do.....

Any ideas?

Thanks

If you took it to a repair shop they probably would have put the amp on the bench, plugged it into a dummy load, fed a signal to the input and fire it up. Then they would have looked at the output with a scope and continued checking with the scope while switching channels and turning knobs. If that revealed nothing they would plug the amp into a cabinet and play through it for a minute. If that revealed nothing they would leave it on for a couple or few hours and repeat. If that revealed nothing they would tell you the amp is fine.

By your description of the problem a scope should have caught it and the amp would have been opened up for further troubleshooting. So if this was a reputable repair shop I would say look harder excluding the amp as the problem. When you determined that your "other" amp didn't have the same problem did you just plug in for a second to check? Or did you play a good long time? Did you plug your other amp into the same speaker cabinet with the same speaker cable? Are you playing both amps at similar volume using similar gain settings? Did you use any noise gate/effects and if yes did you use the same ones with both amps for an appropriate test period? Does your guitar have active pickups? Have you checked the battery?

If you don't find anything take the amp back to the repair shop (or better yet, a different one if this first one couldn't tell the amp was broken) and bring your other gear so you can show them the problem.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Wicked, Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it

Comment

Working...
      X