Cable-end heat shrink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable-end heat shrink?

Many professionally-made guitar and speaker cables have a thick, rubbery shrink-wrap at the ends, different from the stuff I usually have on hand, and I was wondering what it's called and/or where to get it.

As a dumpster-diver, I'm finding that I often run across nice cables that people have thrown in the trash around studios and rehearsal spaces when the only thing wrong with them is a bad solder joint or a cheap 1/4" plug on the end. I fished a 25ft. long, 14 gauge speaker cable from a trash can last week: bad plug.

But I have to remove the shrink-wrap covering to do the repair.

Thanks!

There are many varieties of heavy duty shrink tubing available. This link, Heat Shrink Tubing , was advertised on the page with your post. You can also find the less common types at the usual electronic supply houses. (Allied, Newark, Mouser etc.)

Comment

The best shrink tubing for instrument cable ends is shrinkable Neoprene. It is thick, abrasion and chemical resistant and is easy to thermal print. I used to have cut pieces printed with my company name and phone number so every cable repaired or made was an advertisement.

Comment

I don't know how commonly they're used now but could they be Hellerman rubber sleeves which are stretched on using a 3 prong tool as opposed to heat shrink?

HELLERMANN SLEEVE EXPANDER TOOL KIT

Comment

Heat shrink comes in not only starting size, but also in percentage of shrink, and also wall thickness.

I got tired of paying through the nose for 3 foot or 4 foot hunks of the stuff at the local electronics store. I found that Weico Wire and Cable sold 100' reels of the stuff at considerable lower prices. I was just buying common sizes. You'd have to look into weights of wall.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X