Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Is anyone still building the Standard?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    I think i need to get me this tut5 book, i would like to build an amp to use in my band, primarily covers but some original stuff, i play rhythm mainly, we play blues, and rock and roll, i would be needing an amp that has a fender style clean, and can get a bit ballsie as well, i am tinkering with an amp at the moment that has way to much gain for me, so this may be the path i take.
    does this tut5 book have all the info needed to build this standard amp???

cheers
    geoff

Thumbs Up/Down
    Yes. TUT5 has detailed instructions on how to build the Standard. It's also a great book!

Thumbs Up/Down

Question curiosity..

I have been curious about this amp for a couple years now but have been unable to find any clips of it anywhere. You say it is "not JCM800ish", but what is it? My situation is that I am a detuned baritone and 7-string heavy-tone player and don't want to invest the amount of time and effort that this sort of amp would require that then won't do what I need and want it to do. I heard the 45 second clip on your page and it was a nice sound but I don't know what that represents. Is that the clean channel with bark or the gain channel hardly up or was it near maxing? I need something with several times that amount of gain. Can you characterize what this amp is capable of in definable terms? The problem I run into is people say "amp has metric buttloads of gain" but they normally play clean so a couple scratchy barks and the amp is over the top whereas that same statement to me is more like pantera or something. So are we talking gain of AC/DC (what decade?) or less british or .. ???

Sorry for the diatribe but getting a description of this amp has been like trying to catch an eel. Now finally I can talk to someone who has one ...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Anyone working on a Standard lately? Mine still works great and sounds awesome.

Dan Lurie
    www.fydamps.com

Thumbs Up/Down
    I have started a new thread. Not exactly the Standard you have but a KOC non-the-less
    London Power Pre-Amp

Thumbs Up/Down
    This is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in. The London power books and kits have worked out great for me. I initially built a jcm800 2204 clone but after reading TUT2 I decided to implement Kevin's "galactic grounding". I've heard of many different grounding schemes from many forums. Before all this people have said the Larry grounding scheme worked out well. However it made absolutely no sense to me. As far as I was concerned it just looked like a random grounding layout. Galactic grounding at the time made the most "sense". Glad I implemented it as my amp has very low noise. Even after adding an extra gain stage the amp "noise" was considerably lower than the jcm800 clone I built using random grounding. The galactic grounding provided a good "tone" as well as I do feel that proper grounding affects not only noise but the feel and tone of the amp. This worked out so well for me that I decided to go the whole mile and implement KOC's separate bias pots, the bfx (effects loop), the rbx, and of course power scaling. Implementing these was not an easy task but boy am I glad I did them. The amp has more than enough gain than you need as well as decent cleans (I don't expect amazing cleans as this was made with high gain in mind). And it's very quiet. The amp was finished in about 2 years. Starting from the jcm800 clone (remade it 5 times not kidding). After tweaking and finding the tone I liked I began implementing the full mile of KOC stuff. This amp sings and I can get that cranked tone at lower volumes with the power scaling. The power scaling on mine only affects the output tubes and not the preamp. Really digging the amp now and have been playing it ever since.
    Best of all I have tried pretty much any and every octal power tube out there from 6V6 to kt120. All worked great. Finally settled with the KT66 and kt88 (one of each for each tube socket). I only wished I had learned more about KOC stuff earlier as this was honestly the best I have built. Very happy with the results.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,884/23
    Given: 1,463/35
    Cool
    Post the schematic of what you actually built, a couple MP3 and build pictures so we can see and hear your work.
    Thanks.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down

Jcm800 video sound clip sorry poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Cool
    Post the schematic of what you actually built, a couple MP3 and build pictures so we can see and hear your work.
    Thanks.

Hey all. That's one thing I didn't do haha.
    Sorry. My playing is not the best and its just a sample recorded from my phone. But at least uou get the rough idea of what it sounds like. It's high gain and it does that best. Cleans arent the best but i built it for high gain.
    But hey let me know what you guys think!!

https://youtu.be/Fr_TPZypryo

Sorry. I want to record using better equipment but this should do for now.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by LooseChange View Post
    Yes. TUT5 has detailed instructions on how to build the Standard. It's also a great book!
    Hey everyone. Just thought I'd post a clip of my personal build. Let me what you think. Good or bad.

https://youtu.be/DtfQWH34IjY

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Cool
    Thanks.
    Here is a better audio recording of my high gain amp. With picture of the build in progress and final build.
    Let me know what you guys think good or bad.
    A lot of it was based on London Power stuff which worked out really well.

https://youtu.be/DtfQWH34IjY

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,412/4
    Given: 2,794/0
    Well, it's a very specific sort of EQ you have on that clip. For me, personally, I think I would enjoy that amp with a little power tube clipping and pushing a darker speaker to soften the edges. Maybe it's just the recording, but it's rare for me to hear an amp that "I" think is too crunchy I like the "character" of the clipping and harmonic content though. Build looks nice too.

"In fact when I run into problems working on electronic circuirts, there are so many times that when I finally track it down, the source of the problem is located between my soldering iron and my seat." SoulFetish

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Thumbs Up/Down
    Hi Chuck thanks for the feedback.
    Yes it has power scaling and in the clip I have the power scaling to scale own to very small current. With that I have the master volume halfway but preamp is on full. Yes it is in fact a very bright amp. The platform was a jcm800 so I guess you know why lol.

The mids were about halfway as well as the treble.

Another thing to note was I used a Mesa 1x12. Not sure but even through that the amp can get quite bright.
    Whichever the case I am used to brighter sounds so I guess it's "ok" to my ears. But yes there is a bit of that bright harshness in yhr background especially during the palm mutes.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 683/6
    Given: 1,335/9
    I like the "worser" quality recording?!?!?! But I'm usually the second guitar in the band, and am the one providing the slice&dice. It may just be the way it's set up for these recordings, but I really like the raw. No smoothing needed for me! I would also like to hear it on 10... though I understand if that's not possible.

Justin

"Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks Justin for he compliment
    Yes. Me too. I am really into diming the amps and pretty much max out everything.lol
    Yes you are right. I did adjust the EQ up bit up to try and at least cut into the mix better. Although the mix only has drums added.
    Again. Thanks for the compliment and response.!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 85/0
    Given: 4/0
    Last weekend I did the yearly service on the Standard I built for my friend Neale 4 years ago.

I also found just Powerscaling the Output tubes suited me best. We spent a lot of time auditioning reverb pans and I liked the 3 spring, long delay accutronics best.
    ON his Amp I went with a quad of Vintage ST shape 6V6G into a 3K4 Raa output tranny. B+ at 100% on the power scale was +350V.
    Built a loose tuned 1x 12"box (meaning it was a 2 x12"box with just one speaker fitted). Used a Weber Alnico P12B
    "British Bulldog".
    My own amp is the same "Standard" preamp using 6SL7 instead of 12AX7 into a 5E3'ish power amp, just a pair of those vintage 6V6G, no powerscaling.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Thread Information