No announcement yet.

London Power Standard Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So all you really want id a two channel preamp attached to the 4 output tube power amp. Drop everything else?
    If you want the JCM800 tone.. This is not quite that.

Comment

Oh no. I'm not going for the JCM800 tone. I'm going for versitility and portability. I came across this amp because I was looking into power scaling. I like the idea of the fender-y clean channel...and KOC claims the dirty channel is first rate. I'll have to take his word for it for now.

By versitility I mean in a general sense; I mean that I want it to do both clean and dirty tones respectibly at range of volumes, not that I want a billion knobs and swtiches to tweak everything. I actualy plan to trash a lot of that stuff like the triode pentode switch, one of the master volumes, the fx loop, etc etc... most importantly, I'm going to ditch half the power amp and just go with pair of output tubes. I chose EL34s because...well...I guess just because I don't own an amp that has them yet.

And I'm pretty serious about this portability thing. I was even thinking of going with one of those Jensen Neodyne speakers to shave a few pounds. I have to drag my amps to 4 different practices in 4 different places every week. I'm so sick it and I will spare no expense and even sacrifice some tone (just a little) to make it just a wee bit smaller and lighter.

Comment

Has anyone started a Standard lately?

Comment

I just went to the London Power site and I don't see the Standard anymore. I thought I read there a few weeks back that it was going to be updated, but for now it's not there. I wonder why?

Comment

It's still there... http://www.londonpower.com/kits/t5.htm

Comment

Is anyone still building the Standard?

Comment

I think i need to get me this tut5 book, i would like to build an amp to use in my band, primarily covers but some original stuff, i play rhythm mainly, we play blues, and rock and roll, i would be needing an amp that has a fender style clean, and can get a bit ballsie as well, i am tinkering with an amp at the moment that has way to much gain for me, so this may be the path i take.
                does this tut5 book have all the info needed to build this standard amp???

cheers
                geoff

Comment

Yes. TUT5 has detailed instructions on how to build the Standard. It's also a great book!

Comment

curiosity..

I have been curious about this amp for a couple years now but have been unable to find any clips of it anywhere. You say it is "not JCM800ish", but what is it? My situation is that I am a detuned baritone and 7-string heavy-tone player and don't want to invest the amount of time and effort that this sort of amp would require that then won't do what I need and want it to do. I heard the 45 second clip on your page and it was a nice sound but I don't know what that represents. Is that the clean channel with bark or the gain channel hardly up or was it near maxing? I need something with several times that amount of gain. Can you characterize what this amp is capable of in definable terms? The problem I run into is people say "amp has metric buttloads of gain" but they normally play clean so a couple scratchy barks and the amp is over the top whereas that same statement to me is more like pantera or something. So are we talking gain of AC/DC (what decade?) or less british or .. ???

Sorry for the diatribe but getting a description of this amp has been like trying to catch an eel. Now finally I can talk to someone who has one ...

Comment

Anyone working on a Standard lately? Mine still works great and sounds awesome.

Dan Lurie
                      www.fydamps.com

Comment

I have started a new thread. Not exactly the Standard you have but a KOC non-the-less
                        London Power Pre-Amp

Comment

This is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in. The London power books and kits have worked out great for me. I initially built a jcm800 2204 clone but after reading TUT2 I decided to implement Kevin's "galactic grounding". I've heard of many different grounding schemes from many forums. Before all this people have said the Larry grounding scheme worked out well. However it made absolutely no sense to me. As far as I was concerned it just looked like a random grounding layout. Galactic grounding at the time made the most "sense". Glad I implemented it as my amp has very low noise. Even after adding an extra gain stage the amp "noise" was considerably lower than the jcm800 clone I built using random grounding. The galactic grounding provided a good "tone" as well as I do feel that proper grounding affects not only noise but the feel and tone of the amp. This worked out so well for me that I decided to go the whole mile and implement KOC's separate bias pots, the bfx (effects loop), the rbx, and of course power scaling. Implementing these was not an easy task but boy am I glad I did them. The amp has more than enough gain than you need as well as decent cleans (I don't expect amazing cleans as this was made with high gain in mind). And it's very quiet. The amp was finished in about 2 years. Starting from the jcm800 clone (remade it 5 times not kidding). After tweaking and finding the tone I liked I began implementing the full mile of KOC stuff. This amp sings and I can get that cranked tone at lower volumes with the power scaling. The power scaling on mine only affects the output tubes and not the preamp. Really digging the amp now and have been playing it ever since.
                          Best of all I have tried pretty much any and every octal power tube out there from 6V6 to kt120. All worked great. Finally settled with the KT66 and kt88 (one of each for each tube socket). I only wished I had learned more about KOC stuff earlier as this was honestly the best I have built. Very happy with the results.

Comment

Cool
                            Post the schematic of what you actually built, a couple MP3 and build pictures so we can see and hear your work.
                            Thanks.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Jcm800 video sound clip sorry poor quality.

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              Cool
                              Post the schematic of what you actually built, a couple MP3 and build pictures so we can see and hear your work.
                              Thanks.

Hey all. That's one thing I didn't do haha.
                              Sorry. My playing is not the best and its just a sample recorded from my phone. But at least uou get the rough idea of what it sounds like. It's high gain and it does that best. Cleans arent the best but i built it for high gain.
                              But hey let me know what you guys think!!

https://youtu.be/Fr_TPZypryo

Sorry. I want to record using better equipment but this should do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by LooseChange View Post
                                Yes. TUT5 has detailed instructions on how to build the Standard. It's also a great book!
                                Hey everyone. Just thought I'd post a clip of my personal build. Let me what you think. Good or bad.

https://youtu.be/DtfQWH34IjY

Comment

Working...
                                X