London Power Standard Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Power Standard Amp

I will open this forum up with my tales of building the Standard Amp from TUT5. I built the amp about 1 1/2 years ago and have finally stopped tweaking the thing about two months ago. I have a website that shows all my work.

www.loosechange.freeservers.com

The really neat thing about building this amp and publishing a website is all the people I have worked with from all over the world. Many have contacted me to ask questions and get some help with their build. This has been an extremely rewarding experience.

I do this for fun. Check out the website and feel free to contact me.

Thanks for posting your site. I (and I bet a lot of other people) would be curious to hear what you think about the the standard amp, power scaling, and the de-tuned cabinet.

Good tip about pre-wiring and soldering pots and other components before actually putting them in the chassis.

Comment

The amp is now my main amp when playing with my band. It provides excellent tones for rhythm and lead.
      I don't use the powerscaling much but I do use the SAG control. I set it back a bit to get a less punchy sound. This amp has tons of punch.
      The detuned cabinet was a great experiment. It may be I don't like the EV Force 15 but the sound is too pristine and it amp fills the room so much it is almost hard to hear it. I built a small 1 x 15 half open back cabinet and loaded it with a Weber Chicago 15. This cab sounds great.

Thanks!

Comment

Detuned 1x12

I built KOC's 1x12 detuned cab for a 6 watt SE amp and loaded it with a G12H and it rocks. Lots of bass response. I could see were too much power would make it boomy, but for low wattage amps its the ticket.

MikeY

Comment

I like the color of that board, where did you get it?

Comment

The board material is called phenolic. I found it at a local plastics supplier.

Comment

Where or how did you make the chassis and the faceplates?
              They look very nice!!

Comment

The chassis was all drilled by me on a cheap drill press and a couple of punches. It took about 3 days to do. The faceplates were done at a sign engraver. I gave him a detailed drawing and had them done.
                Thanks!

Comment

Thanks!
                  But you bought the chassis from Hammond?
                  How did you make that rectangular cut for the AC Power plug?
                  Just one thing...I dont know what is a "sign engraver" (I live in Portugal and maybe the name is a lot diferent), so can you please describe me what jobs these sign engravers do, and where they usually work?
                  BTW, how much costed you those faceplates?
                  Thank you!
                  Last edited by Tiago; 09-17-2006, 12:59 AM. Reason: I found more questions to add in this post, so I added in place of repost.

Comment

Yes, I bought the chassis from Hammond. It is basically an open bottom steel box 17" x 10" x 3".
                    The sign engraver makes those little engraved name tags you see people wear at hotels and stuff. They have a machine that engraves a 2 layer plastic sheet (mine is gold front with black behind). The machine engraves ("scrapes") off the gold layer and revals the black below.

I drilled all the holes in the plastic.

The square hole was done with a "nibbler".
                    See...
                    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Are you planning to build a "Standard"??

Comment

Tiaqo,
                      You can probably find someone at a trophy shop that will be able to do the engraving that Loose Change described.
                      Hope that helps,
                      Tom

Comment

OK!
                        Thanks!
                        I never saw a nibbler before...yesterday I was considering making the square holes with files...I always knew that the truth was outthere!! I will print the picture and go to the hardware store to see if they got it!

I'm not planning to build the "Standard", even after reading TUT1, 2 and 5, I still have some sanity left...
                        The thing is that when I build an amplifier, the hardest part is getting the chassis work done. I have most of the tools needed, Driil press, stepped drill bits, clamps, jig saw, etc... But even with this tools is difficult and never has a "proffesional" look, like your has. These front panels great!!

I will try to find a trophy shop to see if I can get things done there or at least if they know where I should go.

Once we are here, I will just ask one more thing...
                        You know that metal grill that some mass produced amps have on the rear and some on the front, like this: http://www.hammondmfg.com/jpeg/1451BK_B.jpg ?
                        Do you know of a type of store that usaually has this type of grill?

Thanks to both of you!

Comment

That grill is from Hammond. When you buy the chassis you will be able to buy a matching grill.

My trick for making the chassis perfect is to lay the entire thing out on a large piece of graphing paper. I then tape it to the chassis and mark each hole with a punch. I then drill a small pilot hole as exact as I can. After that it's all perfect.

Comment

That grill is from Hammond. When you buy the chassis you will be able to buy a matching grill.
                            Thanks,
                            I know that Hammond sells that particular ventilated cover, but what I want is just the grill, like when you buy a sheet of metal per meter or per inch...do you know what type of store sells just that kind of grill?

My trick for making the chassis perfect is to lay the entire thing out on a large piece of graphing paper. I then tape it to the chassis and mark each hole with a punch. I then drill a small pilot hole as exact as I can. After that it's all perfect.
                            OK!
                            I think I will use a Pc based software and print on paper to do that... (I'm not very good marking things manually, even in graphic paper!!)
                            Thank you!

Comment

Check this link out for making your own graph paper.

http://www.incompetech.com/beta/plai...aper/create.pl

Comment

Working...
                              X