Magnetising single coil pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetising single coil pickups

I wound some single coils from kits and am magnetising them with some rather powerful neo magnets.
    Can they be overmagnetised?
    I ran them through about 5 times each and though I better not go any further until I have some more info on this process. I have a gauss meter, but the readings on each pole varies from around 38 to over 100 and it doesn't seem to vary by pole length.
    I did this last night and didn't recheck them today, but am wondering if it will settle down or is it what it is?
    Thanks for any insight!

Your only gonna get your magnets fully charged
    once it reaches that max Gauss level that's as high as it will go
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

AKA "saturation" or Bhmax. i don't think there is anything to be gained by running them through more than once. They saturate more or less instantaneously if your charging mags are big enough.

Comment

AKA "saturation" or Bhmax
        I understand this trait but was getting weird variances from pole to pole and thought the readings were high for saturation. I haven't gotten back to them but did check some of the stock pickups and they were comparable to the lower readings so I will move forward. My meter bounces around quite a bit depending on how the probe is pointed. I used some whopper neos which raised my original concern. Thanks guys, Dan

i don't think there is anything to be gained by running them through more than once.
        It was so much fun I didn't want to stop!
        Last edited by Danelectron; 03-25-2011, 12:04 AM. Reason: I'm a smart ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Danelectron View Post
          I understand this trait but was getting weird variances from pole to pole and thought the readings were high for saturation. I haven't gotten back to them but did check some of the stock pickups and they were comparable to the lower readings so I will move forward. My meter bounces around quite a bit depending on how the probe is pointed. I used some whopper neos which raised my original concern. Thanks guys, Dan
          It was so much fun I didn't want to stop!
          So After the Smoke Cleared and They were allowed to Settle in?
          What did the Gauss End Up?
          Later,
          BigT
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I checked from about 1/4" out and they still varied, but in the range of 20 to 50. I think they may just work.

Comment

Working...
            X