Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Difference Does Position of Tone Cap Make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Difference Does Position of Tone Cap Make?

I have seen schematics where the tone cap is placed between the volume pot and the tone pot and others where the tone cap is placed between the tone pot and ground (see attachment). Most typically the former seems to show up in schematics for Gibson Les Paul type wirings and the latter shows up in Strat type wirings. Is there any difference between these in functional terms? Do they have different effect on tone, where in a given context you would specifically want to use one or the other, or can you put the cap in either location without worrying about the effect? I guess the simple way to put the question is, given the role of the tone cap and how the tone pot influences its effect, does it matter whether the cap comes before or after the tone pot?

Rob R
    Attached Files

It doesnt make a difference on the sound, just a different way of doing it. One end in both schematics is going to ground.

Comment

I read that there's less noise pick up if it's arranged like Fig B, such that the cap outer foil is connected to ground. The theory may hold water if tone control is on 0.
      On my LP (stock as per Fig A, caps between vol and tone pots) I re-configured one pick up's controls to that effect, fig B foil to ground. Switching between the 2 pickups / arrangements on high gain, whatever the tone settings, made no diffeence in terms of hum / noise. Pete.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

So it should, but it doesnt?

Comment

Well, the amount of noise picked up by a capacitor foil is mice nuts compared to what a bobbin full of wire can. I can't imagine a notable difference. Over on the amp end of the forum we've experimented with outer foil orientation in very sensitive applications with no audible result. One of the heavy hitters (R.G., Enzo, Steve Conner, can't remember) suggested that the outer foil orientation is mostly a consideration for circuits operating in very high frequencies (like MHz).
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

As noted by others, electronically, and functionally, it makes no difference.

And, as also noted, running it between pots is more likely to incur noise issues as well as begetting lousy wiring.

I'll add one more thing to the equation that, again, is probably the proverbial mice nuts, but the mechanical rigidity of a cap can play a role in its susceptibility to microphonics at high volume. Situating a cap between a pot lug and nearby ground (chassis cover of pot) probably provides a more stable context that results in less jiggling or wobble of the cap. Though perhaps some might argue that having it more firmly coupled to the body via the pot cover might make it more susceptible to microphonics.

And finally, having the cap on the pot itself, and connecting the tone pot to the volume pot via a wire, allows for easier removal and servicing should the need arise.

Comment

Thanks to all. I guess that answered my question! ;D

Rob R

Comment

Working...
              X