Mojotone JTM45 build issues-RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrozell View Post
    I am a bit of a metal head and want the amp to break up naturally at the lowest volume possible without using a power soak or attenuator. My favorite guitar tones include early Van Halen (A.K.A "brown sound"), George Lynch of Dokken's sound on the "Back for the Attack" LP. Joe Satriani's "Surfin' with the Alien" crunch and anything Jimmy Page ever did. I knew when I bought this kit that I would probably have to modify it away from the stock circuitry. I almost bought a JCM800 kit, but went with this one instead. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Russ
    If you're looking for Van Halen-type tones from a Marshall, a JTM45 is the wrong amp IMO. I'm not sure what the rationale is, but it does seem like some guys look to a JTM45 for those higher gain tones when what they (their ears) actually want is the later lead circuit, or (the even later) master volume circuit amp (along the same lines but more gain). Those are basically brighter and more aggressive. Speakers can be really important (most people probably won't like a bright speaker with those circuits).

Comment

It's been a while since I've been here, but thought I'd chime in. I've not bought a mojo kit, but i've bought a tone of parts and cabs from them. They've been great for me to deal with. On the biasing resistor, glad you got that worked out. Getting that bias resistor right is a bit of trail and error on most amps I've built. I like to use the 10k bias pots that let you get to them from outside the chassis. So, not as much range to work with.

Comment

Working...
      X