450+ plate volts from 360v source @ the rectifier???? 6v6 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450+ plate volts from 360v source @ the rectifier???? 6v6 amp

I have a homebrew prototype amp I am working on And i am getting a lot of squelching sounds (heavey static on low notes also ) and one of my power tube plates is reading WAY high. This design is very roughly based on a 5y3 . One 6v6's plate is 350 ish' and the other one is all over the place and gets up to 450+v. I only have about 360 v b+ at the rectifier. I have rewired it several times and I keep getting the same thing. I move around the offending wire and the noise and heavey static gets better and worse BUT never completely goes away. I recently did a simimar build and had no problems but the chassis was 2" longer and the components were spread out more. I dont know if that has any thing to do with my problem ,just thought I would add it.
    Magnetic components deluxe reverb PT
    magnetic components tweed deluxe OT
    Why Am I getting 450 volts when only 360 are avialable from th b+ supply?????

What are the cathode voltages (not at the resistor, but at the tube socket pin) & screen voltages for the 6V6s?

Any pics of the build?

Comment

Also are you using global negative feedback? Have you tried a new pair of power tubes? New tubes aren't always 100% dependable, believe me I've experienced bad tubes that were brand stinkin' new.

Comment

How about the tube that is making its own extra 100 volts is oscillating? Your meter is just averaging a high freq AC signal on the meter. SCope the circuit.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I think I may have it. I was running through some idea when I fired the amp up without the spaeaker jack totaly pluged in ( my fault) ....But durring the silence , I could hear the staticy squelching noise coming from the OT itself , so I think its a shorted OT. Would that explain the voltage thing? Funny thing is its come and gone before like this.

Comment

Working...
          X