Stacked Humbucker for Tele Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob DiStefano View Post
    it's relatively easy. first you build a stacked coil with vulcanized fiberboard. the center fiberboard, that separates and creates the two connectect bobbins, needs to have a tiny slot cut in its middle - this is to allow the passage of the coil wire. it also pays to wick in thin cya around each magnet/fiberboard - greatly strengthens the resulting bobbin, and i do it to all my pup builds. run a the 42awg through the middle hole of the center fiberboard and on up to the "top bobbin". wind on the wire. when you hit your target turn count, pass the wire into the middle fiberbard slot that you made, and down to the bottom bobbin, wind on the wire in the opposite direction than the top bobbin. that's it. in effect, you've created a pair of coils that are joined at their pseudo finish leads and thus it's a series circuit. because the pole piece alnico magnets are charged north/south, each bobbin thinks it's truly a separate coil, connected by their finish leads, and thus you have really created a humbucking pickup that's dead quiet. hope this helps.
    Welcome Rob:
    I was hoping we could jar You out of the Weeds.
    Sounds like fun.
    In your other post you said 43 was better.
    Care to give us any DCR info?
    You also said that you use .710 magnets.
    If I build one, I was planning on building it for a Strat.
    But, the principal would be the same.
    I have the Tapped Single I just built to test, you may have seen it.
    When I have the pickguard off I will see how much room there is.
    Also did you ever try to put a metal plate in the middle?
    Thanks for all your info.
    Feel free to stop in anytime.
    It has been pretty care free here lately.
    Also It's hid in the Round Table #2 Thread, but you may want to check out the Firebird style mini I showed there.
    It is a double steel blade version, It came out sweet.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Welcome Rob:
      I was hoping we could jar You out of the Weeds.

i have no problem talking and sharing with good people.

Sounds like fun.
      In your other post you said 43 was better.
      Care to give us any DCR info?

you can surely use 42awg, you'll need to experiment to see what works best your needs.

You also said that you use .710 magnets.

that was long ago and far away, i am doing my winding somewhat differently now and have put together a pair of min-lathe based winding machines w/red lion triggers and counters. but to your comment - i now use .781 a5 mags for all stacks - it just means getting more coil wire turns and turns are yer friend for both single and stacked coils. actually, far more important for stacks because you want to better shape the mid-range.

If I build one, I was planning on building it for a Strat.
      But, the principal would be the same.

yes, you can build almost any single coil in this stacked manner. you will need to experiment, particularly if the stacked bobbins don't offer much coil wire room. i would suggest only using 43awg, at least for starters. it's good to experiment.

I have the Tapped Single I just built to test, you may have seen it.
      When I have the pickguard off I will see how much room there is.
      Also did you ever try to put a metal plate in the middle?

yes and it's a waste of time, at least for me.

Thanks for all your info.
      Feel free to stop in anytime.
      It has been pretty care free here lately.

really? that'd be a first for this forum and me. i doubt i'll be coming back here any too soon. if you want more info on stacks, email me direct.

Also It's hid in the Round Table #2 Thread, but you may want to check out the Firebird style mini I showed there.
      It is a double steel blade version, It came out sweet.

i just started building firebirds, they're the only dual coil side-by-side bumhuckers i'll build and eventually offer as cavaliers. but i will only do vintage builds with twin a5 mags and 42awg wire, using mojo parts.

T
      Molon Labe - "Come and get them!" ... Leonidas, 480bc
      www.frettech.com

Comment

Have fun Rob.
        My only advise to you, and you probably need none, is!
        Diversify, I never say I'm only going to build this, because it looks like this.
        Or I don't do this cause it looks funny! lol
        I like to try everything!
        I try not to get hung up on a certain vintage look, or certain Limiting parameters.
        I think if you try the steel blade version of the Mini, you may be very pleasantly surprised!
        I primarily build and Use Buckers.
        I make some SCs, but mainly make big buckers, mini buckers, and Blade Buckers!
        If someone wants any of the vintage fender type stuff, I can make that too!
        Peace, and Tone!
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 03-08-2013, 09:09 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I used to build stacked P-90's years ago. Sounded really good but they missed the character of a true single coil.

I'll take the hum of a single over a bucker any day

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
            I used to build stacked P-90's years ago. Sounded really good but they missed the character of a true single coil.

I'll take the hum of a single over a bucker any day
            I'll let You!
            However, I like both of them!
            Like I said, I try not to get hung up on Limiting parameters.
            Terry

Comment

Wow, it sounds interesting, iŽm going to make one and iŽll see what happend, can you give us some more info about this type of pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by cenizasblancas View Post
                Wow, it sounds interesting, iŽm going to make one and iŽll see what happend, can you give us some more info about this type of pickup?
                So which pickup are you wanting to build?
                This thread is labeled "Stacked Humbucker for Tele Bridge".
                But, the end of the thread is talking about Stacked P90s?
                If your just getting into stacked pickups?
                I recommend starting with the stacked humbucker bobbins in a Strat pickup design.
                It is the easiest to build, and will let you figure out how it all works.
                Then once you build and perfect it, then branch out to Flatwork designs.
                That is outlined in the other Thread.
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32472/
                Good Luck,
                T
                Terry

Comment

iŽm interested more in blade pickups (maybe i posted in the the wrong place) i saw the stacked single blade pickup of David and iŽm curious....

Comment

iŽm interested more in blade pickups (maybe i posted in the the wrong place) i saw the stacked single blade pickup of David and iŽm curious....
                    That pickup seems to be built around a Bar Magnet.
                    He used the bar magnet for the blade.
                    Here it is in a strat version.
                    Maybe it can be adapted to your application.
                    Mojo Pickup Parts » 2115441 Mojotone Strat Flatwork Top and Bottom (for 2.180 long bar magnet)
                    Terry

Comment

but... if youŽll see the pictures of the bottom bobbin, it has 2 ceramic magnets, so the blade is made of steel.

Comment

but... if youŽll see the pictures of the bottom bobbin, it has 2 ceramic magnets, so the blade is made of steel.
                        That would be easy enough also.
                        Make your blade any length you need, and make your flatwork.
                        Then use 2 any bar magnets on the bottom.
                        Probably room for full sized humbucker magnets?
                        Or use 2 of these.
                        Mojotone Ceramic 8 Bar Magnet (2.30L x .125W x .300T)
                        Just make sure you leave enough bar on the bottom to hold your magnets.
                        You would want them N/bar/N, or S/bar/S
                        Terry

Comment

Thanks, what amount of turn and wire do you recommend for a project like David? strat of tele

Comment

Thanks, what amount of turn and wire do you recommend for a project like David? strat of tele
                            sorry strat or tele....

Comment

For a Tele Bridge, I don't know.
                              Depends on the height of the bobbin, and how bright you want it to sound?
                              If you have your inside bobbin height in the 10-11mm range, you can put a lot of wire on it.
                              Use the Coil Estimator, to help you make some decisions.
                              Coil Estimator
                              This design will not be humcanceling.
                              You would need dual blades or a stacked design for that.
                              Good Luck,
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

This design will not be humcanceling.
                                You would need dual blades or a stacked design for that.
                                Good Luck,
                                T
                                Ahhh sorry i was thinking that the David single blade design was hum cancelling. I was thinking in making a blade pickup (2 blade or 1 blade) with 2 sound (tapped), one like fast track 1 of dimarzio with a single coil sound and the other like the pro track (dimarzio), but i donŽt know where to start, wire, turn... the particularity
                                of the pro track, is when to put in parallel it sound more like a paf, and this what i want, 2 different guitar sounds in the same guitar.

Juan

Comment

Working...
                                X