Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Amp=Great Effect

Hey guys,

Recently my Fender Deluxe Hot Rod has started making a squeaking noise whenever I play it for a while. The noise isn't constantly the same, it changes in intensity and sound with what I'm playing, and I can still hear my guitar through the noise.
    I'll turn it to standby, then turn it back on, and the noise will go away for a while, but comes back eventually.

So, I happen to love this strange noise. Being an effects pedalboard junkie, I find it to be very unique, and very awesome.
    I can post a recording if you like, what I'm wondering is:
    a). what is making this sound??
    b). is there any way I can control it??

I started thinking- is there any way that, instead of simply replacing the broken part making this noise, I could perhaps install a working part next to the malfunctioning part, and build a switch that could alternate which part gets used?

I'm determined to capture this amazing noise, and I would love to hear any advice or info you guys might be able to offer.

Thanks

If historic problems with this amp are consistent it is probably a parasitic oscillation due to a failing power supply filter. Impossible to say for sure without having it on the bench. If you can find a tech in your area that specializes in guitar amps they may be able to isolate (and therefore recreate) the problem. They should have bench test gear that you don't and helps them to isolate this sort of "problem". As long as there's no damage to the amp (and there's probably not) you absolutely could make it a feature on a switch.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I would 1st check for fractured solder joints on the HV filter caps, and elsewhere- these amps are inherently prone to cold/fractured solder joints!

mine was making funny noises, and that's exactly what I found.
      Last edited by protojim; 04-26-2011, 11:54 AM. Reason: ocd - a typo :)-

Comment

Working...
      X