Marshall 2098 Solid State Lead 100 Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 2098 Solid State Lead 100 Repair

I am working on an old Marshall SS amp. The outputs were originally MJ2501 and MJ3001. I am looking at 2N6284 and 2N6287 for replacements. Any better options out there?

Also, the choke in the Zobel network is fried. It parallels a 10 ohm 5 W resistor. Any ideas on where to get a suitable replacement?

2N6284/87 look good. I would use them.
    In fact, in an emergency I used TIP142/147 which marginally fit there and got away with it, so those metallic TO3 rated at twice the current sure are a good option.
    You can handmake the choke by winding similar enameled wire across a same size 10 ohms resistor.
    An extra or missing turn don't matter, it's not *that* exact.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

thanks, I used the 2N6284/87 and it is back up and running. I found a similar choke in my stash and installed that. This amp has an output matching transformer, but whenever connected it caused the output to pull too much current for some reason, so I just bypassed it. The amp puts out the full 100W into a 4 ohm load. It needed all 16 electrolytic caps in the preamp replaced, the main and secondary filter caps and a few odd transistors, as well as the outputs. I biased it at just a few mA across the .33 ohm emitter resistors and it seems stable. Not a bad sounding amp.

Comment

Working...
      X