Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really Need On:Off:On Mini-switch for this purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you trying to tell me something looks fishy?
    Absolutely not! I had no idea how far you got into it. Up to yer elbows! I like the caps switch. After seeing that I would be happy with a generalization on the tone. Bo Diddley wooda been jealous.

Comment

[QUOTE=Danelectron;210248] I had no idea how far you got into it. Up to yer elbows!

Yeah, and then today happened. I took the body of the guitar down into my woodworking shop and stuck it on the drill press with 4 different sized Forstner bits and then put it on my oscillating spindle sander. Let's just say now all that electrical stuff is gonna fit in the cavity with room to spare. Coincidentally, my sheet of pick guard material arrived from Stew-Mac today, along with an assortment of copper tape and pick guard screws. The cavity is now open front and back side, so I've got to fit a cover to both sides!

I like the caps switch. After seeing that I would be happy with a generalization on the tone. Bo Diddley wooda been jealous.
      I hope I like the cap switch, because it was no fun to wire up. That was the first new idea I came across in working this out, but in the end I'm more excited about the bridge pickup selector (although now that I think of it, that was even less fun to wire up). It strikes me as funny that when I started asking questions about these things, a common response was to keep it simple because nobody really needs or uses all those different pickup selections. The one thing nobody bothered to say is how much fun it is wiring up a 6-position, 4-pole switch, especially when every terminal has at least one connection, some have three, and there are connections from each individual pole to all the other three. I rewired my son's Epiphone SG last weekend, putting 2 stacked pots on, so he's got individual volume and tone controls for the two humbuckers, where it came with one of each. Putting that together with wiring up the components for my guitar, I have to have soldered at least 100 connections in the last 5 days. I feel more like I'm in it up to my neck :P !

Rob R

Comment

It sounds like your making fast progress. Post pics of that bad boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Danelectron View Post
          It sounds like your making fast progress. Post pics of that bad boy.
          Well, you asked for it! I've attached pics of where I am at just now (I will add on as I go). In addition to the guitar, I put up pictures of the switches I wired just because I find it amusing to see how simple they look on paper and what a mess they appear in 3-D!

I am getting really excited, though. My sub-mini toggle switches just arrived (yesterday, apparently, but nobody checked the mail until today). I've got it all figured out how I'm going to cut and shape my two pick guard material panels. The biggest issue is that I had ordered pickups from an on line company almost a month ago, and they didn't bother letting me know they weren't in stock and they were having delays with getting re-stocked, so they just left me hanging week after week, wondering where my pickups were. I finally canceled the order with them, only to find it difficult to get the pickups elsewhere--even Musician's Friend reported they might have them in stock by the end of this month. I hunted and hunted and finally found one dealer yesterday that had both types of pickups I wanted, so I felt great to put the order in, and I should have them in a few days. I looked back at his site today to find that now he, too, is out of the humbucker (I have to have been lucky to get the last one in stock!). The added benefit was his prices were much better than anybody else's. It helped out because the single coils I wanted (Lace Holy Grails) were only available individually in white anywhere I looked, including his site, and I need black. His prices were good enough that buying the humbucker and a three pack set of the single coils cost me about $6 more than I'd have paid elsewhere for the humbucker and the two single coils, so now in one sense for $6 I've got a $90 bridge single coil to hold on to for some other future use!

Rob R
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X