Should I buy this amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy this amp?

Hello all. I have a chance to buy a silverface Fender twin reverb for $150. the seller says that when you turn it on it sounds like a siren ( very loud). The amp looks like it has been to he'll and back cosmetics wise but looking inside it seems to he OK. I know there is work involved but I'm looking for a project. What are your thoughts?

It is NOT OK inside if it sounds like a siren. Maybe you can fix it for a reasonable cost...but if you were anticipating this, you would not need to be asking here. An amp that does not function is not a saleable item, other than for value of breaking down the parts...but at this stage, you don't know what parts are good or not.

Avoid...or post the photos here for assessment.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I don't have access to the amp to take pictures, I know the amp needs repair I just don't have enough experience to know if the amp is a lost cause or can be fixed for a reasonable cost. I know no one has a crystal ball but I appreciate any thoughts or opinions. Thanks

Comment

sounds like a fun project at an ok price

Comment

a good siren is worth more than 150 bucks. It could just be a badly microphonic tube, but an old Twin in rough shape is gonna eat 300 bucks worth of service and tubes pretty easily. If the cabinet is sound, doesnt stink, and the chassis is not all rusted, then its probably a pretty good deal for someone, not necessarily you.

Comment

And the hardware is not all rusted.
            And the speakers work.

Comment

If you have the ability or want to learn to diagnose and repair it yourself, then heck yeah. That would be a fun project! And it might help keep the good folks on this forum occupied for awhile.

If you get overwhelmed by it, you could always part it out on eBay. I'm sure you'd get your money back plus some. But that is a bit of a hassle.
              Last edited by Krwkka; 04-07-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

JUMP ON IT!!!

The parts alone are worth way more than that, and it's a tube amp.....not rocket science....it can probably be fixed very easily and cheaply.

Comment

If it squeals "very loud" that means all the major parts are probably OK, otherwise it couldn't do anything very loud.
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Tell the seller I'll give him $151 for it! Sounds like a great project. Fix the siren, apply new tolex and you have a sweet amp. I wish I could find a project amp like that one.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll buy the amp and see what I can do with it. I sold an amp to an amp tech not to long ago and we spent the better part of the night talking music and gear and he said if I had any amp questions to give him a call, it may be time to call him. I'll post photos if the deal goes through. Thanks again.
                      Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X