Leslie Model 16 Rotating Speaker Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie Model 16 Rotating Speaker Cab

Ah yes, one of the first true effect "pedals". This baby works and I'm building the missing footswitch and crossover for it.

My question is in the Crossover Network. Does that read a cap value of 2ufd@200VDC there? I guess someone already figured that the inductor is 1.2MH but what is the voltage rating on that one? Same as cap, 200VDC? Anyone have a photo of those guts? It's supposed to direct the MIDS to the Leslie and the remaining LOWs and HIGHs to my combo.

Thanks in adv.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16-18_Adapter.gif
Views:	3
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	863369

Quiet old post, I respond anyway, as this is in my brain right now.

The filter network is a bandgap which works from 1kHz (-3dB) to 10kHz (-3dB), so as you said the external speaker plays, what the Leslie cannot play. The 200µ in front of the internal speaker is a highpassfilter with -3dB at 100Hz. I simulated the Filter for 8 Ohm speakers, the green graph is what the Leslie gets, the blue one is what the external speaker gets (the dashed lines are the phase responses):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leslie simuliert.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	825169

Mostly the caps nowadays have 2.2µF, I found a 2µ/250V MKP here:
    https://www.buerklin.com/default.asp...=ArtNr_37D1366
    Well this is in Germany...alternatively you could take 2x 1µF in parallel or, as film caps have tolerances to 20%, you can maybe buy some 2,2µ with 20% tolerance and find the smallest one buy measuring.
    They do not need to have more than 63VDC which is about 40VAC and you can also use MKT or MKS caps.

The inductor is not an inductor - more a coil. I choose one without a metall core, these air-core-coils have the best audio quality:
    VIS SP 5017 - VISATON SP-Spule - 1,5 mH - 1,0 mm bei reichelt elektronik
    This one has 1.5mH, I will take down some windings until I measure 1.2mH. Well, 1.2mH is a common value you will surely find one. Take one with 1mm wire cross section, this can stand about 60W.

I buyed a leslie which comes from an organ, so there is no chassis nor electronics, only one board with the 2 motors and the speaker/rotor. The speaker was broken, it's just an 8", I believe you have a 10" in your Leslie 16. I exchanged it for a Visaton BG 20-8. I chose a broadband speaker as I want to use it in my studio and hope I will be able to make some nice experiences also with other instruments. I builded a 30 Liter bassreflex part behind the speaker and will make the 200µF switchable to see what I can get in bass. The bass will not go through the Rotor, but I won't need a second cabinet. I will see if this makes sense, I finish the next days.

You can hear the Leslie 16 in the studio recordings of Jimi Hendrix' little wings, here is a link:
    http://www.jmeshel.com/095-derek-the...-jimi-hendrix/
    Hendrix plays the intro and when he reaches Gmajor the Leslie starts in slow mode.

Leotse
    Last edited by leotse; 06-09-2012, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Just a footnote while on the subject: (related info)
      CE distribution in Arizona stocks mechanical parts, belts, and motors for Leslie cabinets.
      If you were looking for parts to re-build a Leslie, this is one good source to try.
      You might also try "Sam's Photofact" archives for schematics, parts lists, and other info.

Comment

Working...
      X