Rewiring For Dual Pickups - Magnetic Plus Piezo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring For Dual Pickups - Magnetic Plus Piezo

I am posting this question to a number of forums since I'm not sure which are the best.

As far as my experience with electronics, I am primarily a musician composer type, but I have soldered quite a few guitar cables in my day.

I am looking at adding a piezo pickup to my electric guitar to extend the frequency range and to add a bit of "bite" to the overall sound. Cost is also a factor.

I've done a test setup with two separate cables... (the piezo and the stock magnetic pickup being channeled into two tracks in the audio interface of my computer)... I liked the sound after adjusting the gain and correctly mixing the two inside my computer... but it's inconvenient to have to plug in two cables and have unbalanced volume levels right out of the guitar (since I want to be able to use standard guitar FX pedals, etc).

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to mess around in the electronics of my guitar...
    - to combine the two signals
    - to add a gain control to the piezo, and
    - probably to add an amplifier for the piezo as well (unless I can otherwise raise it to the same level as the magnetic pickup, maybe by installing the largest diameter piezo?).

Anyone know how to go about this? Even pointing to relevant resources is greatly appreciated.

- Lid555

Originally posted by Lid55 View Post
    I am posting this question to a number of forums since I'm not sure which are the best.

As far as my experience with electronics, I am primarily a musician composer type, but I have soldered quite a few guitar cables in my day.

I am looking at adding a piezo pickup to my electric guitar to extend the frequency range and to add a bit of "bite" to the overall sound. Cost is also a factor.

I've done a test setup with two separate cables... (the piezo and the stock magnetic pickup being channeled into two tracks in the audio interface of my computer)... I liked the sound after adjusting the gain and correctly mixing the two inside my computer... but it's inconvenient to have to plug in two cables and have unbalanced volume levels right out of the guitar (since I want to be able to use standard guitar FX pedals, etc).

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to mess around in the electronics of my guitar...
    - to combine the two signals
    - to add a gain control to the piezo, and
    - probably to add an amplifier for the piezo as well (unless I can otherwise raise it to the same level as the magnetic pickup, maybe by installing the largest diameter piezo?).

Anyone know how to go about this? Even pointing to relevant resources is greatly appreciated.

- Lid555
    Administrators!
    This probably needs to be moved to the regular forum.
    This would be something more specialized and for more advanced Winders.
    Not the Norm for the questions, and scope of most winders that hang out In This Area.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

thanks for the info.. I've posted to the regular "Pickup Makers" section

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        This probably needs to be moved to the regular forum.
        This would be something more specialized and for more advanced Winders.
        Not the Norm for the questions, and scope of most winders that hang out In This Area.
        The question isn't about making pickups at all, but about how to hook them up. So I've done what I do with all such questions, and moved it to the Guitar Tech forum.
        -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Thanks for redirecting the question to the appropriate forum.

Comment

Check this link. It's not a complete answer, but provides insight into what you are interested in.
            YouTube - 1997 Ibanez with Piezo Bridge and Switching Modifications Pt. 1

Comment

Thanks for the link...

I've done a little minor soldering, but need to find out more or I might mess it up. I've created a wiring diagram of my Charvette guitar (the original wiring).

(the coloring isn't related to the color of the wires at all... it's just an attempt at clarity)

I tried substituting the piezo for the middle pickup... the level is fine but there's not enough control... (I can't blend it other than with the neck pickup at a mix of 50/50).

I'm pretty sure I need a blend pot...

Is there any difference between a blend pot and a volume pot or is it just how it's wired?

Also... any recommendations as to where in the signal line I would solder?

think I'll get a 250 kOhm pot tomorrow...

-Lid555

Comment

More Details

hmm the image didn't show up...

I'll try again:

I've done a little minor soldering, but need to find out more or I might mess it up. I've created a wiring diagram of my Charvette guitar (the original wiring).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CharvetteWiringDiagram-scan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	820659

(the coloring isn't related to the color of the wires at all... it's just an attempt at clarity)

I tried substituting the piezo for the middle pickup... the level is fine but there's not enough control... (I can't blend it other than with the neck pickup at a mix of 50/50).

I'm pretty sure I need a blend pot...

Is there any difference between a blend pot and a volume pot or is it just how it's wired?

Also... any recommendations as to where in the signal line I would solder?

think I'll get a 250 kOhm pot tomorrow...

-Lid555

Comment

Working...
                X