Roland Space echo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Space echo

Got one that needs work....no delay signal mainly...
    Any good sites for these? I think I had one but lost it.....
    Regis, you know where to find info?
    thanks.

I have seen a few of these. Which model?
    The small Electrolytics coupling caps have habit of shorting. I have just checked the + & - inputs & outputs on the op amp DIP's for offset have had good luck finding the offending caps.
    Also if the unit needs a pinch roller, this guy has them for about $35 ea.

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

BTW, I have used 1/4" tape from old 87 track tapes for replacement loop tape. It works really well...I suppose that's common knowledge at this point.

I the entire manual for the re-150 & 501. I can scan the schemo & layout if you like. glen

Comment

It's an RE-150
      I found a manual that's like 28 pages with schems (Yay!)
      a couple questions:
      Which side of the tape should be against the heads....the brown side or black side?
      I forget, how do I demagnetize the heads?

So far the heads have bias...it's most likely a physical problem...

Comment

well,
        the black side is the side coated with the slippery stuff, it's the Brown side (ferrous oxide) that goes against the heads.

To demagnetize, you plug the demagnetizer away from the head about a foot or more. Then, draw it to the heads plugged in & wave it over the face of the heads (be careful not to scratch them..the demag tool should have a plastic cover over it's end) as well as the guides for about 10seconds or so.

Then draw it away from the head a couple feet or more & then unplug it.

The reason being if you unplug the demagnetizer when it is against the heads it will actually magnetize them.

If you've never aligned 3 point heads before, it can be a challenge...there is a height, azimuth, & zenith (tilt) adjustment. They all interact (especially the tilt adjustment).

I'd say if you don't have a tape that you can align the unit to, stay away form the head adjustments unless absolutely necessary.

Let me know if I can help further, glen

Comment

Yes, you are a help!
          I think the biggest problem right away is the tape is on backwards!
          I had an echoplex that I spent a couple hours on before finding this out once!

The manual I found was for the 201, but looks pretty similiar, more importantly it has the alignment procedure.
          I've de-mag'd other things before (including machine shop punches and motors) but not one of these....it may not need it once I reverse the tape!

Thanks again.

Comment

See how great this is, 2 minutes later the damn thing is working!
            I owe you a beer!
            Of course in 6 months I'll probably forget and ask the same stupid question.

Comment

no probs, drewl...I've been similarly helped here by all. It's like dusting off the webs from my old days in consumer audio working on reel to reel & cassette decks. I certainly don't miss all those bias & level adjustments we used to have to go through! g

Comment

Oh, and to also blow smoke up your butt....the dead mic channel was caused by one of them shorted coupling caps you mentioned.

Comment

How cool is that!...I mean the shorted cap...not the smoking butt part!! g

Comment

Working...
                  X