Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepco Paul Combo - Anyone have a schematic or more info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepco Paul Combo - Anyone have a schematic or more info?

Hey there,
    I have a little 'Paul' valve combo made by the Pepco company of Canada.
    I bought it a couple of years back on Fleabay and it's mainly been sitting un-used since then but when I recently plugged it in, I was stunned by how pure a tone this little thing produces.
    It seems to work perfectly with the one exception of the tone control making no change to the sound. (someone posted on another site the self same problem)
    However, a couple of posts I have come across, suggest this could be very dangerous to use since it has no power transformer and is earthed direct to the chassis!
    One post read "I've seen lots of variations of these Canadian-made budget amps. Most were combos with an 8" speaker, single-ended and had series-string heaters. The
    last characteristic made them extremely unsafe to use."
    I've done some major trawling of the internet and come up with only minor details, so I'm wondering if anyone here could help me with more info, or even a schematic so that I can get this thing checked out by a qualified engineer.
    Any help would be gratefully accepted.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by sohosteve; 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM.

Quick-and-easy initial check -- look inside the cabinet and count the transformers? One output tranny for the speaker (smaller) and hopefully one (bigger) power tranny. If you only have the one transformer, then it's a hot-chassis series-string setup. Just to verify, check the tubes. Is there a rectifier tube (5y3, 6u4, etc) and what type of output tube? If you see a 6v6 or similar, you probably have a power transformer. If output is something like a 35c5 or 50l6, then it's a series-string.

Based on the age, type, and "bargain-bin" status, I would be willing to bet it's a hot-chassis. The good news is that adding an isolation transformer to make it safe is a trivial modification and not very expensive.

Comment

Addendum

I couldn't find a schematic, but it should be easy enough for any technician to figure out. Here's a transformer that would probably be okay - Triad N-68X from Mouser for $11.20 plus s/h:

N-68X Triad Magnetics Transformers

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by Zipslack View Post
        I couldn't find a schematic, but it should be easy enough for any technician to figure out. Here's a transformer that would probably be okay - Triad N-68X from Mouser for $11.20 plus s/h:

N-68X Triad Magnetics Transformers
        Hey Zipslack, that's a great help as there is no power transformer in there. Just a tiny little one that feeds to the speaker.
        I live in the UK so would need one that runs on 240v but I appreciate your feedback as at least you've re-assured me that it's fixable and shouldn't be too expensive

Comment

Triad xformer for 230V

That Triad xformer is listed as 115/230 volts and can be used for US or foreign voltage...just a matter of connecting the windings for the desired voltage (instructions should be included with the transformer).

Comment

Let your experienced engineer compare it to some of those Valco/Wards/Airline/Danelectro/etc. amplifiers.
            There were some ultra-cheap hot chassis models, they were all basically the same: straight out of the RCA or whatever datasheet (look under AC/DC radio amplifiers), nobody was getting "creative" there, except by finding how many parts they could pull and let the amp still sound (somehow).
            No matter what, use that isolation transformer and ground its chassis through a 3 prong power plug.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well I guess that transformer looks like it should do the job then :-)
              Thanks to you both for sharing your knowledge with me.
              I'll order it tomorrow.
              Best regards
              Steve

Comment

pic of a pepco-paul

According to the info red here, the amp displayed in this pic is not a hot-chassis Pepco-Paul
                Click image for larger version

Name:	pepco-paul.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	829760

Comment

Originally posted by burton449 View Post
                  According to the info red here, the amp displayed in this pic is not a hot-chassis Pepco-Paul
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]24405[/ATTACH]
                  Haven't a clue where that pic came from but my combo is definitely a Pepco Paul. It's the same as the one in my attached pic but it has the metal Paul badge and 'Pine Electronics' on the control panel.
                  Sounds great but it scares me because whenever I've plugged it in I get little 'nips' if I touch the strings lightly which cause a audible 'click' through the speaker....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by burton449 View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]24405[/ATTACH]
                    I have that same chassis on my bench right now, it is a Pine 210. It is not a hot chassis amp.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                      I have that same chassis on my bench right now, it is a Pine 210. It is not a hot chassis amp.

Not sure mine is the same actually as the model number is 201 (unless you accidentally reversed the numbers)
                      I've attached some shots I just took of mine so you can see for yourself.
                      There's only one transformer in it and the wires go from the transformer to the speaker. So I guess it's the output transformer (I'm NOT an electronics guy).
                      The mains cable attaches directly to components in the circuit....
                      Are you still sure that it's not a hot chassis amp?
                      I'm not doubting your knowledge, I'm just currently scared to use the thing in case it fries me!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wait!
                        I was responding to burton449 and the picture he posted (4 controls 3 transformers). That is a model 210 (not hot chassis).
                        Yours is a model 201 and is definitely HOT chassis, "widowmaker" amp.
                        You NEED an isolation transformer.
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                          Wait!
                          I was responding to burton449 and the picture he posted (4 controls 3 transformers). That is a model 210 (not hot chassis).
                          Yours is a model 201 and is definitely HOT chassis, "widowmaker" amp.
                          You NEED an isolation transformer.
                          Thanks for the heads up.
                          The amp's got a great tone but not one worth dying for!

Would you know if this transformer would do the job? Triad N-68X from Mouser for $11.20 plus s/h:

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/T...Ps07VYQMnV5cIl

Comment

The transformer may be big enough to handle this small amp, it's hard to say. Amps that use half wave rectifiers can overheat the isolation transformer even though the isolation transformer has a high enough VA rating.
                            For that price, I would try it. If after playing awhile it is too hot to touch, you will need the next size up.

Comment

Paul ( Pepco ) 201

http://www.guitarscanada.com/showthread.php?29848-Vintage-Pine-Electronics-Amp-with-My-Name-On-It!
                              Vintage Pine Electronics Amp with My Name On It! - "Paul" 201 - Repair/Advice

http://pepcotubeamps.blogspot.com/
                              Pepco tube amps

http://pepcotubeamps.blogspot.com/search/label/schematics
                              801 chassis model schematics

http://pepco201.blogspot.com/
                              Paul ( Pepco ) 201 Chassis Isolation

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pepco_201_iso_w.png
Views:	2
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	829780
                              It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                              X