No announcement yet.

Finally a decent winder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe this is a little bit off topic, but I found the aspects of the motor. Is the last on the list... SM57STH76-2804A
    jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
    mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
    mm basses

Comment

It looks like a standard 1.8 degree/step hybrid stepper, 2.8A max, max operating temp 80C rise over a 50C ambient, so it can safely run at 130C case temp (don't touch it!). 500VAC max for insulation breakdown.

Very powerful motor it seems for the application
      making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

If 50 degrees is the maximum ambient temperature and 80 degrees is the maximum temperature rise, can it "safely run at 130C case temp"? Just wondering.

I also think it did not say 500VDC for isolation breakdown, I believe it said the insulation offers 100M ohms resistance AT 500VDC.

After this chat, I'm fueling my car with nitroglicerine. I'll shut the engine down 100 times a minute and it'll never blow up because I'm shutting the engine down before it melts.
        Valvulados

Comment

Look-- sorry to have cheesed you off. I just didn't want our friend to think that there was something wrong with his winder based on your statements, when in fact running a low voltage motor at a much higher (but current limited) voltage is standard industry practice.

"safely run at 130C case temp" Look, I am not making this up. That's what the mfr says. I wouldn't do it just cuz I'd burn myself on the damn thing.

And from the spec: Dielectric Strength "500VAC for one minute." Still not making this up. And again, we are nowhere near that in this application

I'm just telling him what the mfr says is OK. This motor looks hugely overspecced for this application. i bet they sell this same motor/drive combo for CNC stuff. A pretty good price for that.

As for your car, if the manufacturer says it is OK to do that, then feel free.

I do like the amp quote...Have you read Merlin's book on tube preamps? Brilliant stuff!
          Amazon.com: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass (9780956154507): Merlin Blencowe: Books

Comment

how is the noise level with this setup? My Frankenstein makes a lot of noise (sewing machine motor w/mechanical counter). it would be nice to have a quiet machine!

Comment

Originally posted by marku52 View Post
              Look-- sorry to have cheesed you off. I just didn't want our friend to think that there was something wrong with his winder based on your statements, when in fact running a low voltage motor at a much higher (but current limited) voltage is standard industry practice.

"safely run at 130C case temp" Look, I am not making this up. That's what the mfr says. I wouldn't do it just cuz I'd burn myself on the damn thing.

And from the spec: Dielectric Strength "500VAC for one minute." Still not making this up. And again, we are nowhere near that in this application

I'm just telling him what the mfr says is OK. This motor looks hugely overspecced for this application. i bet they sell this same motor/drive combo for CNC stuff. A pretty good price for that.

As for your car, if the manufacturer says it is OK to do that, then feel free.

I do like the amp quote...Have you read Merlin's book on tube preamps? Brilliant stuff!
              Amazon.com: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass (9780956154507): Merlin Blencowe: Books
              I know you're not making any of it up, you're just interpreting the manufacturer data to adapt it to high adrenaline engineering. I've never heard an engineer tell me running something at 100% absolute maximum temperature is safe, nothing personal there, just not advice I'd give on a public forum. I mean, seriously, that big a motor running at 130C will heat up a home in siberia.

On the other hand, you've got some advanced ESP, because I was looking for Merlin's books at Amazon.com just before I came to check on the new post notification.
              Valvulados

Comment

You don't happen to have the rest of the sewing machine attached? :-)

I'm guessing that the mech counter is part of the noise. an optical counter is dead quiet. My machine (brush DC motor, bread machine belt and pulleys, 5/16 shafting running on skateboard bearings) is pretty quiet, the shaft is a little out of true (Home Depot rod stock) making a little noise, but I've got some drill rod on order that I hope will cure that.

Comment

Originally posted by StarryNight View Post
                  how is the noise level with this setup? My Frankenstein makes a lot of noise (sewing machine motor w/mechanical counter). it would be nice to have a quiet machine!
                  Is not so noisy but the frequency of the motor turns a little bit anoying... There is a quick video a made... The wooden works like an amplifier... I think I'm going to use headphones....
                  jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
                  mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
                  mm basses

Comment

Try mounting the metal motor plate between sheets of sorbothane rubber in a sandwich in the following stackup: Wood plank, rubber sheet #1, motor plate, rubber sheet #2, outer metal plate. The outer metal plate is screwed to the wood just tight enough that the motor plate is trapped, but there is no metal-to metal or metal-to-wood contact for the motor plat, which is completely surrounded with goopy rubber.

Comment

Working...
                    X