converting an earth g1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting an earth g1000

I recently started researching and repairing tube amps. I just successfully finished a cap job on my friends 1966 blackface super reverb. I had a lot of fun doing it and am looking to continue this type of work.

After I finished this project a friend of mine gave me a broken earth g1000 thinking that I might actually be able to do something with it. I wasn't sure what the problem was so I decided to crack it open and take a peak inside. Before I opened it I was optimistically thinking I could just replace the caps, throw in some tubes and bias it and I would be good to go. Unfortunately I discovered A LOT of damage inside. It almost looks like there was a small fire on two of the power tube sockets which will definitely need to be replaced and many of the resistors are charred beyond recognition.

After discovering these problems I thought about my options and decided my best bet was to buy an amp kit from mojotone. I want to build something fender, doesn't really matter it just has to be a 6l6 based designed (there's 4 6l6s in this specific model). The main reason I came to this conclusion is because I cannot seem to find a schematic for the g1000 on the internet. I wouldn't mind it being a g1000 but I have no clue what to replace the charred parts with as I cannot read there values of the component themselves.

So now my main question is what to build inside this amp. If it is possible I would like to use the transformers that are already in the amp. However I have no clue if I will be able to use them with a fender amplifier. Through research I've done I've discovered that the amp is most definitely based on a fender design but I've read that it's based off a fender twin, a fender bandmaster and a fender showman, so I'm not 100% sure what it really is based off of.

With that information I'm looking for advice on what my next step should be. Like I said I would really like to use the transformers I have in the amp because I'm pretty broke and that would save me a good chunk of change. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!

IIRC Earth did some exact copies of Peavey amps.So exact, in fact, that they were put out of business by the lawsuit that Peavey brought against them.Your amplifier may be a clone of a Peavey amp.Check it out.........A search of the history of Earth amps should reveal more details. Steven

Comment

Earth's all tube amps (they made hybrid tube/transistor amps as well) were based on blackface era fender designs. Here's a link to the G-2000 schematic. It should be close enough to help you rebuild what you have.

http://earth.ampage.org/earthfiles/earth_amp.pdf
      -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Working...
      X