Well, what do you think?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, what do you think?...

Here's my winder set up. Uses a fishing reel from the 50's. what do you guys think?

My only problem with it is...The surface the bobbin is going to go on, isn't completely true, will I run into any problems?

Looking at the first pic there looks like a pretty sever angle to block attached to the reel , which will most likely cause all kinds of lopsided winding patterns.

Comment

I noticed that after taking the picks, it was the reel on the board, so I straightened that out, but the block on the wheel wobbles a bit. Will that effect anything? I'm most likely going to be hand winding, couldn't I just guide the wire one way or the other if it starts getting lopsided?

Comment

Everything being straight and true is very important to get a straight level bobbin wind.
        Just a little bit untrue makes it lopsided on the ends.
        Have You thought about using some form of drill.
        I've made a lot of good pickups with a Dewalt Cordless Drill.
        I made a jig to hold the drill and a drill activator to start and speed up the drill.
        Once you start winding you will see what problems your going to have.
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Very green. Hope it works.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            Everything being straight and true is very important to get a straight level bobbin wind.
            Just a little bit untrue makes it lopsided on the ends.
            Have You thought about using some form of drill.
            I've made a lot of good pickups with a Dewalt Cordless Drill.
            I made a jig to hold the drill and a drill activator to start and speed up the drill.
            Once you start winding you will see what problems your going to have.
            Good Luck,
            Terry
            Thanks for the input Terry
            I'm only a beginner, so any input at all from any body who knows what there doing is appreciated. I thought about using a drill, but thought it would be too complicated, where can I get one of these activators?

Comment

Originally posted by Danelectron View Post
              Very green. Hope it works.
              Thanks Me too

I really want it to work lol, I've been waiting so long to dive into this hobby, and I finally did.

Comment

You can probably use a router speed control for the drill activator that Terry is talking about. Router Speed Control

Comment

where can I get one of these activators?
                  I don't know, but most drills have a trigger cover that can be removed and the leads can be pulled out and wired to a variable control (pot) in place of the trigger. You can even use a pedal control. If you do this with a 120 volt drill, you will want to make sure to well insulate all connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancour View Post
                    Thanks for the input Terry
                    I'm only a beginner, so any input at all from any body who knows what there doing is appreciated. I thought about using a drill, but thought it would be too complicated, where can I get one of these activators?
                    Activator! lol
                    Is a fancy name for a bolt threaded through a bar that I turn to put tension on the trigger of the drill.
                    I may have to take a few snapshots of my primitive setup.
                    It really works pretty slick.
                    Definitely not the fancy winder most of the guys have been making lately.
                    Good Luck,
                    Terry
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Do I detect a note of jelousy?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        I wind with my pinky sticking out too

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Danelectron View Post
                          Do I detect a note of jelousy?
                          You bet!
                          No, I'm just lazy.
                          I should have already built one.
                          I'm waiting on you guys to get everything perfected, so my job will be easy!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys I'll give this thing a spin, then if I'm not happy I'll go the drill route

Comment

I would put the limiter as close to the bobbin as possible. You will have much better control over the windings.
                              otherwise the wire will go wherever it wants to.

Comment

Working...
                              X