No announcement yet.

Hiss in new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever I see Americans arguing over the fragility and "failures" of their patent system(not specifically on this thread, but it's a trend all over the place it seems), it seems to me(and to others around the world I guess) like two lords who just had a feast arguing and complaining about hunger
    Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
      Whenever I see Americans arguing over the fragility and "failures" of their patent system(not specifically on this thread, but it's a trend all over the place it seems), it seems to me(and to others around the world I guess) like two lords who just had a feast arguing and complaining about hunger
      Who's arguing? The patent system in the USA is worthless to any party without $100K to $1M available to pay in legal fees to protect a patent. Effectively, it does not exist for a lone inventor. And patents are used primarily as trading chits between large companies.

It's this aspect of the patent system in the USA that makes me laugh when someone proclaims proudly about their patent, or worse, patent application. It is a public admission that they do not understand how the patent system works. And that was the source of my laughter in this case.

But back to the patent system. Who's feasting? I don't understand that comment at all. I strongly suspect that any comment about the USA around the world is met with exactly the same ill feeling regardless of the actual content of the comment.
      Last edited by R.G.; 04-29-2011, 03:16 PM.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
        Who's arguing? The patent system in the USA is worthless to any party without $100K to $1M available to pay in legal fees to protect a patent. Effectively, it does not exist for a lone inventor. And patents are used primarily as trading chits between large companies.

So who's feasting? I don't understand that comment at all.
        Your patent system is 100 years ahead of any other I've seen around the world. I know several inventors who've created amazing things in other countries and who live anonymously serving cheap repairs and living off small projects, whereas we see American patents upheld and protected. Now I don't know if you need good lawyers or big money to do that, all I know is your system works better than mine by 100 years. Also I didn't say you were complaining(arguing), it was a comment on Americans complaining about their patent system in general(I read Reddit, Digg, Slashdot and tons of technical-inclinded discussions about your patent system and there seems to be overall discontentment).

Here is a story from my home town, the Caller ID BINA case: Caller ID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I knew some folks loosely related to that case in the local university and telco, but not the inventor himself.
        Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
          I strongly suspect that any comment about the USA around the world is met with exactly the same ill feeling regardless of the actual content of the comment.
          Not to drag this further off topic... So our patent system is weak. And the royal family doesn't look like a bunch of horsey faced inbreds.

The attitude (especially on the other side of the pond) seems to be that we're a bunch of arrogant cowboys that border on incompetent. BUT that's fine with me. What isn't fine with me is when immigrants that live here complain about America and Americans!?! Why the hell are they wasting their time here then. Go back where you came from and gripe all you want.
          Last edited by Chuck H; 04-30-2011, 03:27 AM.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Spoken like a true cowboy, Chuck.
            Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Here's me enforcing a patent back in Texas, 1989.

Valvulados

Comment

Atta'boy!
                Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I think we're regressing...???

In Thailand they cane you for vandalism... A bit of a backward concept, eh? In China couples are limited on the number of children they can have... Point is that there are compromises wherever you go. Our capitalist system really does work for the most part (for better or worse, depending) and it's as good a deal as anyone can ask for. Hell, at least we get to vote and pretend we have a say in how it all turns out

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    ...What isn't fine with me is when immigrants that live here complain about America and Americans!?! Why the hell are they wasting their time here then. Go back where you came from and gripe all you want.
                    Off topic
                    Americans - Indians..? Silly old me living in an old country, thinking you folks are all more or less immigrants. So don't you dare complain.
                    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

American indians come from India. I think you mean native Americans? To be clear I do think they got a raw deal. There's even some Cherokee in my blood but the brass tacks are that they are conquered people. Anyone that conquers America can also gripe with impunity.

Comment

Ho ho chief! My grandpa did some genealogy and found out that some ancestor to us killed a king called Olof II den helige back in 1030, supposedly. I'm not sure about that but we're in the church records back to the thirteenth century. The churce burnt to ashes, the infidels, popularly called Vikings, living here was somewhat violent, every no and then...

Nowadays all the violence are projected through Rock'n'roll, I guess.
                        In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          Anyone that conquers America can also gripe with impunity.
                          - British Petroleum approves this message
                          Valvulados

Comment

Yes good one.

Comment

Working...
                            X