No announcement yet.

First pup build, I like the tone but not what I wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise gates don't get rid of noise, they just turn down the volume when you stop playing. So since the hum is always there, it rides up and down with the signal level. Too much gate and your notes get clipped off.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yes a fundamental misunderstandning on my part of what it was doing. This amp modeler is my first experience with them.

Comment

Just say no to amp modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
          Dito that!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Amp modeling is fine for recording. You hear it every day on the radio and don't even know it. Live it tends to lack dynamics. I played in a band for a while with a guitarist that used an Apple laptop running GuitarRig and a powered PA cab. The tone was fine, but he always sounded like he was in the other room, no matter how loud he was. But for recording, where you need to limit dynamics anyway, it often sounds great. The only thing it can't do well is semi distorted crunch tones. But for my home recordings, I haven't used an amp to record guitar in about 25 years! The key thing is don't use the presets that come with amp modelers. They always suck. You have to tweak them quite a bit.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
              Amp modeling works just fine for me.

I own the following modelers:

Behringer V-Amp2
              Behringer V-Ampire LX-112
              Behringer Bass V-Amp
              Behringer V-Amp3
              Fender Mustang II
              Johnson J-Station
              Boss GT-8
              Roland GR-55

I've been able to make great presets with every and each one of them, and I've used'em both in studio and live as well.

I also have a hand-made "boutique" tube amp. It sounds great, but so do the modelers. I choose'em based on the venue. Big place, big stage, tube amp. Modelers in all other cases.

HTH,
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
              X