Mk II winder idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk II winder idea?

Ok, so my fishing reel winder flopped...And for my next winder I was thinking of using a cordless drill, minus the battery pack, and making it a corded drill, similar to this:

Free Woodworking Plans, Ideas and Experiences - Cleghorn Creations

Any thoughts? My only modification would be to tear apart an ac power adapter that was rated at 18v out and hooking it up to the bridge rectifier and putting that in a box to make a power suppl instead of using the microwave transformer, then I would attach that to the inside of the drill, and screw the drill to the top of my bench so that its stable.

Originally posted by Rancour View Post
    My only modification would be to tear apart an ac power adapter that was rated at 18v out and hooking it up to the bridge rectifier and putting that in a box to make a power suppl instead of using the microwave transformer, then I would attach that to the inside of the drill, and screw the drill to the top of my bench so that its stable.
    Why not just recharge the battery when it needs it?
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Why not just recharge the battery when it needs it?
      I want to mount the drill to my bench, cant drill through the battery.

Comment

Sooo....Will it work?

Comment

I've used a big DeWalt Rechargable Drill and 4 18Volt batteries for going on 3 years now, works great.
          I built a Jig to hold the drill out of a 2 foot Pine 2x6.
          I C-Clamp it to my desk. When I'm not winding, I store it out of the way.
          My winder was a weekend temporary experiment, It's not great but good enough for the amount of pickups I make.
          Important is to make the bobbin face plate run true.
          If it doesn't you will have lopsided lumpy pickups.
          I made my share till I figured out all the how tos on getting everything to run straight.
          Later,
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Could you send me pics of how you winder set up is? did you mount the drill to the board? How do you make the drill flat and level? Most drills when you put them flat the drill is slanted. And how did you make your face plate? What did you use to true it? sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Working...
            X