Need help changing an auto bias circuit to adjustable Crate BV50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help changing an auto bias circuit to adjustable Crate BV50

Hey folks . I have posted in another thread about a hum issue that seems to have been resolved. My problem now is the bias is too cold . It's auto bias ,but it's topping out at 20ma +/- 1. WAY too cold. Plate voltage is 463 ,and I'm using KT66s. I would like to change this to adjustable ,but I need help .
    Any help much appreciated. Schematics attached.

Thanks
    Attached Files

I'm no expert, but I would try putting it either in place of R80 or R103. YOu could try paralleling a resistor at these points and see which one gives you the current changes.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpete View Post
      I'm no expert, but I would try putting it either in place of R80 or R103. YOu could try paralleling a resistor at these points and see which one gives you the current changes.
      Thanks pontiacpete. I'll give that a try. If I could get the current in range of the KT66, I wouldn't mind just adding a resistor instead of a trim pot.

Comment

R103 is just a bleeding resistor across one of the bias voltage power supply caps.
        But that voltage seems to also feed an op-amp... not a simple install it seems.

Comment

Just my luck Thanks valvehead .

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpete View Post
            pontiacpete..it is R80 . I just got the same info from Michael at Eurotubes , so that's where I'll make the change.

Comment

That's good to hear you are on the right track now.

Comment

We'll see...

Comment

So, I have added a 10K bias trim pot in series with a 5.6K (closest I had to a 5k) The problem is I'm only getting 25ma max. Should I lower the 5.6 K, or make it higher to get to where I need to go ? Around 47.2

Thanks !

Comment

I would try lower or just put in a 20k trim without a series resistor

Comment

I guess I would have to parallel the resistor instead of series to lower the resistance . I may look for a different trim pot also. I have plenty of resistors though

Comment

Ok...now I have a hiss that changes with volume ,and a noticeable buzz /distortion sound when playing at higher volumes. Also when I cut the volume back on the guitar it sounds tinny... ????

Comment

Were you able to dial in the right amount current for the new kt66s?

Comment

Yes , I did get the bias adjusted. I had to change to a 20k resistor with the 10K pot. I MAY have the pot wired wrong. I'm trying to find out now. Always something.

Comment

Working...
                            X