Eden D210XLT cabinet - fuse value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eden D210XLT cabinet - fuse value?

Anyone know what this is? It's not stated inside or outside the cab and Eden had me on hold for too long.

If I am not mistaken that is a 350 watt cabinet at 4 ohms.
    An amplifier that puts out 350 watts at 4 ohms will produce a 37.4 Vac RMS signal.
    Voltage / Resistance = Current.
    37.4 / 4 = 9.35 amps.
    That is the maximum current that the speakers will want to see.
    An 8 amp fuse should fit the bill.
    Go lower if you want to play it safe.

Comment

Thanks JPB... but correct me if I'm wrong - isn't the fuse typically only for the tweeter in such a cabinet? Is the tweeter really rated at that?? I'd guess that a tweeter does not need to be rated as high as a woofer since low frequencies tend to need more current... but maybe my assumption here is wrong. Finally, slo blo or fast?

Comment

Isn't it a tweeter protection circuit build using a light bulb? It is described in Eden manual: http://www.eden-electronics.com/info...abs_Manual.pdf page 6 (look for TWEETER LEVEL CONTROL). Such light bulbs are available from several internet stores; in Europe from Thomann.de. I don't remember the exact symbol.

EDIT: you may also read this: http://www.eden-electronics.com/info...weetertext.htm
        or this: http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/html/bfoot.php

Mark

Comment

Good call Markus.
          I thought the OP was fusing the cabinet.

Comment

Being frankly this is just a light bulb used in cars so you may be able to buy it at a gas station. Someting like 24V/ 18W.

Mark

Comment

Fyi this crossover has a "fuse holder" it's not an axial lead bulb. ??

Comment

Anyway yall I just connected this fuse clip with a wire and the issue is still there anyway. I still need to know about the fuse, but apparently the absence of the fuse is not what is causing the symptom here. The symptom is that when the Eden WTX-500 (Class D) head is plugged into this cabinet there is a ticking sound. Each tick is about 1 second apart. This does not happen with another cab and does not happen with the cab and another head. ??

Comment

Such problems are specific to class D amps and it's hard to believe that it is related to a cab. In order to confirm it, you can connect the speaker directly to the amp (excluding the protection circuit). Is it still ticking in this case?

Mark

Comment

Is the ticking specific to the woofer, the tweeter or both.
                    It may be a crossover issue.
                    As to the tweeter fuse, It would not hurt to revove the tweeter & try to ascertain the wattage that it can safely handle.
                    I would think 1/3 of the cabinet rating should be safe.

Comment

The tweeter watts should be 1/3rd of the total cab wattage? Is this a standard? Just curious, I need to study cabs and crossovers a bit more.
                      Last edited by lowell; 05-07-2011, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Open the cab & look at the tweeter.
                        The wattage should be stated.
                        The crossover can be checked with a scope & a signal generator.
                        The power spectrum can be plotted by sweeping the frequency.
                        Where the crossover starts to pass the signal to the tweeter is important.

Comment

I just connected the speaker output of the amp to the woofer without the crossover. It works fine that way. Mark should I still try your suggestion without the protection circuitry? Or does this tell us something?

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
                            I just connected the speaker output of the amp to the woofer without the crossover. It works fine that way. Mark should I still try your suggestion without the protection circuitry? Or does this tell us something?
                            It was not my suggestion to connect the speaker without the protection circuitry. I suggested only to connect it in this way temporarily - just to exclude some part of the circuitry. But you have to solve the problem. You cannot modify the cab and give it back to customer as fixed. I suggest that you draw the schematic of the protection circuitry. How many components you have there - 4 or 6? It will take 3 minutes to draw the schematic. Finally, the tweeter has to be connected - as it was designed by the manufacturer. Otherwise, the cab is not fixed.

Mark

Comment

You did "prove" that the woofer works
                              I do not believe it was ever stated what the initial problem with the cabinet was.
                              Simply a blown fuse?
                              Was the tweeter ever checked?

Comment

Working...
                              X