Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Twin bias weirdness, advice sought...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin bias weirdness, advice sought...

I've got a channel switching Fender Twin here, one of the recent ones (not the red-knob 80s ones). Its lost a lot of volume, 'was' taking your face off on '2' (clean channel), but now needs cranked up to at least 5 or 6 for any decent volume.

The bias is acting strange in that the two sides (i.e. the left or right pair) bias up around 20mA apart from each-other irrespective of whether you swap the 6L6s round, or even put a 'known good' matched quad in that match in other amps.

I'm at a loss with this one - anyone care to have a look at the schematic and suggest where to start? - would be very grateful.

http://support.fender.com/schematics..._schematic.pdf
    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

anyone? - Bueller?
    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Well, what have you checked on the amp?
      Did you measure the voltage at 6L6 pin #5 of the tubes. (measure at the socket/ tubes out, then tubes in)
      Here is a list of possibilities:
      Faulty soldering on the output tube board
      C106-C107 phase inverter coupling caps/ may be leaking voltage to the grid
      R115-R129/ R114-R128 1.5K bias resistors/ out of tolerance
      R118-R119 470 5 W screen resistors/ out of tolerance-open
      D100-D101 failed & are leaking to ground
      Break out the DVM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Well, what have you checked on the amp?
        Did you measure the voltage at 6L6 pin #5 of the tubes. (measure at the socket/ tubes out, then tubes in)
        Here is a list of possibilities:
        Faulty soldering on the output tube board
        C106-C107 phase inverter coupling caps/ may be leaking voltage to the grid
        R115-R129/ R114-R128 1.5K bias resistors/ out of tolerance
        R118-R119 470 5 W screen resistors/ out of tolerance-open
        D100-D101 failed & are leaking to ground
        Break out the DVM.
        Good point, I should really post my findings so far.

I'll get out my notes in the morning and post them here.

Thanks for your post and suggestions, much appreciated.

The one thing I'd thought is that the trem pot that the bias goes through is a dual-gang pot and this could be causing problems if they're quite different in value, right?
        HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Turn the trem intensity control to minimum and then re-check the bias. Pete.
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Not sure about this, but I don't think Fender ever made a channel switching Twin with a bias vary trem. It must be a later Twin and therefore has a preamp grounding trem that doesn't affect any bias conditions.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Not sure about this, but I don't think Fender ever made a channel switching Twin with a bias vary trem. It must be a later Twin and therefore has a preamp grounding trem that doesn't affect any bias conditions.
              I've attached the schematic on my first post if you fancy having a look - the bias goes through the intensity pot, then to the bias splitter resistors, looks like the old bias-varying trem circuit, but I could be wrong. Thanks for responding either way, Cheers!
              HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Originally posted by HTH View Post
                The bias is acting strange in that the two sides (i.e. the left or right pair) bias up around 20mA apart from each-other irrespective of whether you swap the 6L6s round, or even put a 'known good' matched quad in that match in other amps.
                Check the output transformer and screen resistors.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Its lost a lot of volume, 'was' taking your face off on '2' (clean channel), but now needs cranked up to at least 5 or 6 for any decent volume.
                  The bias is acting strange in that the two sides (i.e. the left or right pair) bias up around 20mA apart from each-other
                  1) I do not think both facts are related, at all.
                  2) To get over the bias obsession:
                  How do you measure idle current?
                  Did you try to use the R149/R150 "bias/balance" trimmers? (which are there just for that purpose)
                  3) Now on to the real problem: this Fender schematic shows very useful signal voltage levels .
                  Inject 2.5 or 5 mV AC @ 1 kHz on J1 as suggested and trace the signal along its path, checking that everywhere you have the approximate values.
                  Good luck.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yup. That's a bias vary trem. Please to ignore above post and check bias with trem off.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

ok, so I've just got round to looking at this again and I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but the effects loop wasn't switched in - there is a big difference in volume if you don't have the loop switched in (even with nothing plugged into the loop). Obviously its got a knock when the owner was last moving it around (doh!!!!).
                      HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Ha... I had a little Mesa Subway amp that had a mute switch in the back on the UNDER side of the chassis. I was going to sell the amp to someone but when I moved the amp into the living room for demonstration I must have triggered the switch. Since I never used the switch (and you can't see it) I didn't even consider that it might be the cause. No sale that day.

Comment

Working...
                        X