Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEAVEY XR 400 Mixer AMP (200H schematic) Transistor ID Help

Hi,
    I have the Peavey XR 400 Mixer amp with a couple of blown resistors and a blown transistor.
    The schematic can be viewed here.
    http://ameba.lpt.fi/~kojolaur/200h-a.gif
    The transistor that is blown is (Q6 - 5331). I have search the internet (ALLDATA) and cannot locate this transistor. I think it is a NPN transistor, but don't know which one to order.

The schematic list a cross reference for many of the transistors including
    5332 ---> MJE253, I can find the specs for that PNP transistor on all data no problem, but not the Q6 -- 5331 transistor.

Any suggestion where to locate that transistor or a suitable replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time
    Jamie

Will this help: http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics..._Cross_Ref.pdf ?

Mark

Comment

Your best bet for repacement parts is to call Peavey Customer Support at 877-732-8391 ext 1386.
      The 5331 crosses to a MJE243.
      The 5332 crosses to a MJE253.
      As to the blown drivers, I would take the troubleshooting a bit further.
      "Something" pulled way too much current through the drivers.
      It may be true that one or the other drivers "went" & took out the other one, but I would have the output transistors Q6-8 & Q9-11, very high on my list.
      Remove all of them & check for a shorted condition between the base lead & the emitter, base lead & the collector.

Comment

Thanks for the cross reference chart and troubleshooting info. I just ordered a couple of the MJE243 transistors, $1.47 each(one for a spare). I will replace the transistor and two resistors when they arrive, and test the output transistors as suggested.
        Thanks for the help.
        Jamie

Comment

I noticed there are at least two schematics for the XR 400.
          The second one can be seen here
          http://natcade.tripod.com/schems/Peavey/200h-b.gif
          Th 200h-b shows 32 resistors vice the 30 resistors in the 200h-a schematic. Curious, I counted the resistors on my board. I was surprised to count 36 resistors. A few of the resistors on my board do not appear to match the size listed on either schematic when comparing the color bands.
          Does anyone know if there are more than two schematics for this board?
          Is there a circuit board layout drawing that included the component values.
          Thanks again for your time.
          Much appreciated.

Comment

Update on the extra resistors;
            Comparing the board to the schematic it appears that the following capacitors (C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, and C8 may have all been replaced with Resistors). They definitely look like resistors to me, and the color bands indicate the same Nominal value as a listed for the capacitors. For example, it appears someone has placed a 39 Ohm resistor instead of a 39pf capacitor for C6. I goggled different types of capacitors and was surprised to read that some capacitors can look like resistors with color bands, but was unable to find any images online to indicate this. I have pulled three of the components in question and cannot get a resistance or capacitance reading on any of them. I assume they are burnt.
            I notice there is no voltage value on the schematic for these capacitors, and they are all NP (non polarized), is there any particular type of capacitor I should order to replace these?
            Thank you for your time
            Jamie

Comment

The 200H schematic that I have is two pages.
              Version A & version B.
              The same as you have posted separately.
              The capacitors that look like resistors are capacitors.
              Non-polarized.
              Yes there are color bands.
              If you are in doubt as to the type, seeing that they are all different, call Peavey.

Comment

Thanks Jazz,
                Always good to learn new things. :-) I would have bet they were resistors.
                Thanks for your time
                Jamie

Comment

That basic design of the power amp of Peaveys was used in oh so many different amps of there's.
                  It is a classic.
                  The schematic voltages are a true blessing.

Comment

Working...
                  X