No output on a Crown CE1000 power amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No output on a Crown CE1000 power amp

I have a Crown CE1000 power amp that doesn't seem to be working. There is no output on either channel which I found strange (sometimes channel 1 will come through but it's very quiet when it does and not to mention inconsistent). Further, the fault indicator LED doesn't light or blink at all, and the level LED still corresponds with the input. I suppose this is a power section issue but I have no idea where to start. I have the service manual but it is almost 600 pages so I was hoping I could get some tips before I rifled through that behemoth. Anyone have experience servicing these amps, or has come across this problem? I gather it should be simple enough since the front end appears to be working fine but I don't know quite where to start. Thanks!

What do the flashing lights do when you power it on?

Comment

These amps are a PITA.
      Surface mount city.
      You may want to read this post:http://music-electronics-forum.com/t12646/
      I am not saying they cannot be fixed.
      Just be ready with some decent test & repair equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        These amps are a PITA.
        Yeah. The multiple surface mount emitter resistors were a GREAT idea. Usually quite entertaining when they blow up, though.

Comment

Again, those amps were quite literally disposable, and we repaired them at modular level. Totally not worth getting into. On paper, they are a great design, borrowing heavily from the infamous DC-300A design, but the surface-mount topology WILL make for a very frustrating repair at best.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Hello and yes, the Crown CE1000 in for repair on my bench is quite a challenge. But hopefully I have found all the bad little
            SMD’s. I have a post going in the forum, but most people are saying not to bother. Anyways, getting ready to reassemble and test, wish me luck. If the repair is successful it will be one of the CROWN jewels of all the repairs I’ve done in the past 25 years. Will definitely be celebrating even though there is so much better amps out there, woot woot!! Lol

Comment

I also have a CE1000 with little output! Rebuilt the power section and now low output. Seems to be a problem in the "Error amp/ LVA section" Error amp output DC level changes much with increasing input and output is mostly square wave. Changed error amp (U101) but still bad. Anyone versed in this error amp/ LVA section on how it is actually supposed to function?

Comment

Working...
              X