Need replacement pickup for Gibson BR-6 lap steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need replacement pickup for Gibson BR-6 lap steel

I have what I believe to be is a mid 50's Gibson BR-6 (identified from information and photos on other web sites. ) I bought this used on Ebay a few years back, and much to my chagrin, found that someone had taken the original pickup out and slapped in some sort of humbucker. It works and all, but the distance from outside pole to outside pole is 2" on the pickup, and my strings are 2.25" apart. Doesn't work too well. The person installing it aligned the treble pole with the treble (highest) outside string, so the 6th pole is essentially under the 5th heavier string, and the 6th string is picked up very faintly. The overall sound is less than optimal, and I have not played it since I got it a few years back (I am a wiser ebay shopper now, lol). Anyway, have been getting into lap steel lately (have another Supro lap steel which works fine, love the tone and that formica finish!) but would like to also get this unit up and running. Anyone have suggestions on replacement pickup? I play blues, blues rock, some country rock, looking for that overdriven sweet tone, open E tuning (my supro sounds awesome, would also like see how sweet this gibby could sound with the right pickup, maybe play with alternative tunings on it.) help!

The wider string spacing will be the problem with trying to find a ready made drop-in replacement. You could check with some of the small company winders like Lollar or Fralin and see if they have specs for your original pickup, and see how much it would cost to have them make you a reproduction.

Go over to the pickup winders forum and ask there, you will probably find 20 guys that can make one for you.

Comment

You might try contacting Bill Asher at Asher guitars.A first rate luthier, he also makes a highly regarded line of lap steels.He may have what you need. SG

Comment

Working...
      X