Help, floyd rose tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, floyd rose tuning

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.
    I have an ibanez RG series 320 DXQM with a bolted down nut

and it seems when i tune it the tremolo rises and throws either the top strings out of tune or vise versa. I actually just snapped a brand new set of strings.. What am I doing wrong.

Floyd Rose Setup and Tuning

I had a Floyd equipped guitar once, never again.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      Floyd Rose Setup and Tuning

I had a Floyd equipped guitar once, never again.
      Me too.. and I didn't have the internet back then to help sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by zunzulo View Post
        Hi I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.
        I have an ibanez RG series 320 DXQM with a bolted down nut

and it seems when i tune it the tremolo rises and throws either the top strings out of tune or vise versa. I actually just snapped a brand new set of strings.. What am I doing wrong.
        Doing wrong, probably just being impatient. Leave the fine tuners in the middle and the nut unlocked until you've got everything tuned up like a normal guitar, strings stretched and retuned. Then when you're pretty well done restringing, stretching, etc. then lock it down.
        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Hi zun
          Its all in the adjustments on a floyd. What string gauge are you using...are they the same gauge that came on the guitar new...are you using standard tuning? All these affect how a floyd rides.
          Put the strings on....slowly tune the guitar until the floyd rides high...then adj the tension springs in the back cavity until the floyd is parallel to the FRETBOARD! NOT the body. This is the error most players make with a floyd. Continue to tighten the strings and adj the springs until the guitar is at pitch and the floyd is parallel with the FRETBOARD. It will stay in tune and dive bomb all day. If you cant get the floyd to ride parallel to the fretboard at pitch, you need to add 1-2-3 tension springs in the cavity ( add 1 at a time and adj ). I have an ibanez rg with floyd and an agile prs copy with floyd and they both stay in tune and dive bomb all day in tune.
          Pm me if you need any more and I'l try and help.
          Clay

Comment

i've always used a block of wood in the bridge cavity on FR bridges, such that you can bend notes down but not up.

by adjusting the preload of the tension springs you can set it up so that even breaking a string won't send the rest totally out of whack, since the bridge is basically fixed.

i've also found it helps with sustain and/or string feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Ronsonic View Post
              strings stretched and retuned.
              Yes... Important! Stretch the strings! Get them in tune, then pull them up a few inches, and retune. Do it a couple of times. Then lock it down. Then they wont go out any more.

I used to install these at American Showster. They are a pain in the butt. I even had one on one of my own guitars.

What really helps is the Hipshot Tremsetter. Highly recommended. Even keeps the strings in tune when you do Nashville style bends and if you break a string. They are tricky to set up, but work great after that.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Stretching the strings is always recommended on any guitar. As I said before, if set-up properly, a floyd can perform great. The tremsetter works well to keep the floyd in tune when playing double stop bends. It can make the floyd stiffer to dive bomb. I have a tremsetter on my Agile PRS copy and it stays in tune while bending one string and playing another when keeping the 1st string bent ( without the tremsetter, the second string played will be flat ). If you block the floyd so it will dive down, you can stop the bending problem by using more return springs at a tighter setting ( this can also make the floyd stiffer to dive ).

Comment

+1
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

My technique

My technique for dealing with floating trems is:

1. Place a small block behind the trem block (spring side)
                    2. Tighten all the springs as far as they will go (use a block that allows trem to ride at proper angle on guitar...takes some experimenting)
                    3. Wedge a dead 9V battery or similar object on the other side of the block
                    4. Make sure both wedges are in tightly
                    5. Remove trem arm and toss in a drawer somewhere in case you every decide to get rid of the trem or the guitar

Using the above technique seems to make all floating trems work much better and stay in tune. Then, just tune normally, stretch and re-tune, lock the nut, then adjust the fine-tuners.

Comment

LOL Zip. A lot of players have done just that out of frustration. But if you follow either of the methods I have posted, you can have a fully function floyd that stays in tune and dives all day.
                      Good luck all

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn_Slinger View Post
                        Stretching the strings is always recommended on any guitar.
                        Glad to hear someone say that. I've gotten into heated debates with people on forums saying it will harm your strings! I try to point out to them that I have been doing it for 40 years, but they don't care about that... lol
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Zipslack View Post
                          My technique for dealing with floating trems is...
                          Why have a vibrato on a guitar then? Just get a hard tail. Or just remove the strings and put the guitar in the case under the bed and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Just set the bridge up properly and you wont have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            I've gotten into heated debates with people on forums saying it will harm your strings!
                            wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                              Why have a vibrato on a guitar then? Just get a hard tail. Or just remove the strings and put the guitar in the case under the bed and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Just set the bridge up properly and you wont have a problem.
                              Once upon a time, internet shopping and large stores weren't available, so you were limited to what you could find locally. Also, sometimes a great deal comes along and you get as-is. How many affordable strats do you find with a hardtail?

Comment

Working...
                              X