No announcement yet.

tensioning vs. traverse... an on-going battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RedHouse - that is an interesting thought. I'm not doubting it, (Jason seems to "get" wire tension and its effects as much as any other winder out there) but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. So, a given tension achieved by several lower tensioned devices works better than a single tension device... maybe because the tensioner itself isn't stretching out/abrading the wire as much? I had thought that extra open length on the wire allowed for the natural elasticity of the wire to compensate for irregularities in the strength of the drawing wire (that is, the winding bobbin), but maybe I'm over estimating the elastic properties of thin copper.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
      ...So, a given tension achieved by several lower tensioned devices works better than a single tension device... maybe because the tensioner itself isn't stretching out/abrading the wire as much? ...
      Not saying better, just another view to try.
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

this is a really interesting thread. I have my winder setup so that the spool is behind the winder about a foot and a half. The wire travels vertically up about a foot into the felt tensioner, then travels horizontally back towards the winder and goes over a pulley wheel and straight down and under the traverse bar, then onto the bobbin. The traverse bar is only a couple inches away from the bobbin. Setting it up like this has worked like a charm and I've never had any problems with breakage or getting knotted up.

Comment

I've tried my modified set up, and it worked MUCH better! It is ugly and not finely polished like the ones pictured here, but I'm definitely on the right track. My traverse (modified pulley wheel) is a bit more in line with the bobbin, I eliminated the rigid bar holding the wire against the traverse and replaced it with a free floating piece that can bounce up and down as tensions change. Behind that is my felt tensioner. The wire lies on the bobbin MUCH better now - the ends and middles are consistent - and I have great control over the tension between adjusting my felt tensioner and the free floating piece.

I'd post a picture, but it really is THAT ugly! It involves old thread spools, old guitar tuners, and some stretchy string for making elastic bracelets.

I may or may not eventually ditch the wheel. It actually is working really well, and I like that the current set up isn't ever bending the wire at a sharp angle. I have a few things to debug still - I want my spool to "point" at the winder more so as it passes through the wisker disc it is more even. If you draw the wire with your hand (a surprisingly educational process), you can feel it hanging up more on one side of the spool than another. I had it propped up with scrap wood, but I have some old door hinges and I think I'll make yet another atrocious yet effective device to solve that problem.

And, the most important thing, the pickups SOUND so much better. It solved the aural problems exactly as I had hoped, so I've been riding that high for a couple days now.

Comment

Oh, and since winding speed came up, I was going at 440 rpm. I have no idea how that compares to other folks, but that is where I settled in. I may speed it up now that I have tensioning looking better.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
              I've tried my modified set up, and it worked MUCH better! It is ugly and not finely polished like the ones pictured here, but I'm definitely on the right track. My traverse (modified pulley wheel) is a bit more in line with the bobbin, I eliminated the rigid bar holding the wire against the traverse and replaced it with a free floating piece that can bounce up and down as tensions change. Behind that is my felt tensioner. The wire lies on the bobbin MUCH better now - the ends and middles are consistent - and I have great control over the tension between adjusting my felt tensioner and the free floating piece.

I'd post a picture, but it really is THAT ugly! It involves old thread spools, old guitar tuners, and some stretchy string for making elastic bracelets.

I may or may not eventually ditch the wheel. It actually is working really well, and I like that the current set up isn't ever bending the wire at a sharp angle. I have a few things to debug still - I want my spool to "point" at the winder more so as it passes through the wisker disc it is more even. If you draw the wire with your hand (a surprisingly educational process), you can feel it hanging up more on one side of the spool than another. I had it propped up with scrap wood, but I have some old door hinges and I think I'll make yet another atrocious yet effective device to solve that problem.

And, the most important thing, the pickups SOUND so much better. It solved the aural problems exactly as I had hoped, so I've been riding that high for a couple days now.

Glad to hear good sir.

It seems I have solved my kinking issue after I made another whisker disc with some smaller stock before I order one from Azonic. I also ditched the funnel to add a small eyelet from a fishing pole before my tensioner. A little more tweaking and I think I'll be good. The wire control right now is beautiful. Next will be the auto traverse so I can nail down my TPL recipes although I am kind of partial to hand guiding right now.

Thanks for the conversation guys. I don't have too many people around here to talk winding with.

Comment

I run a Gorman that comes with a wire holder that has a tensioner built in to it. It is a clamp with neopreen on it. I added a piece of felt to it and use a c-clamp for extra tension when needed. You can order them from Gorman. Not sure how much as mine came with 2.

Thats my wire tree all in one

Any way that is the best one I have found yet. So simple.
                Shut up and play

Peace and Tone The Rain Mann

Comment

Working...
                X