silvertone 1481 OT blown up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silvertone 1481 OT blown up

Hi - Just found this place, cool forum! I gather from reading some past threads that the small silvertones are known for blowing up output transformers. I guess I was abusing my 1481 - reamping at high volume for a few weeks while mixing until the amp got pretty quiet and started to smell. I unplugged it and let sit for a while, pulled it apart and found the output transformer was the source of the odor. When I turned the amp back on I could see/ hear/ smell arcing in the OT. I thought maybe since the leads from the tx to the speaker are not insulated that maybe they had shorted on something which caused the failure, but I gather that it probably just melted on its own - or are there other component failures that can fry the OT?

Anyway - what are the replacement options? I'm pretty happy with the stock sound but might be interested in something that could make it a little hotter without blowing up the speaker. Thanks for any help!

Here's an OT that would work for you.
    Blackface Champ Output Transformer
    Use the 7K primary and then you have a choice of either 4Ω or 8Ω taps, depending on what speaker you're using.

Whatever OT you choose, you need to make sure there is a load on it at all times, either a speaker or a resistive load. If you are using it to slave to a separate amp, check out the Firezog.

RWood

Comment

Working...
    X