a/c filter for lights that are noisy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c filter for lights that are noisy?

Can anyone point me to a in line filter that i can plug lighting into that will keep them from causing noise in audio gear?

power line noise filter - Google Search
    power line noise filter dimmer - Google Search
    Or try to use a better quality light controller.
    Usually the big difference in size, weight and price between a $200 and a $2000 one lies , precisely, on the line filtering provided.
    The Triacs+controller part is basically the same, although a more sophisticated unit will often provide zero_crossing switching which "in theory" is noiseless.
    Cheap dimmers are horrible.
    Any good filter you get will be substantial; the miniature ones found inside IEC connectors and the like are there only to make the FCC happy so you don't interfere with your neighbour's TV set, but at audio frequencies do little, if any.
    Good luck.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Those miniature filters are useless for audio as JM says. They certainly don't stop my hi-fi from making a pop sound every time the fridge compressor turns off.

You can get larger, "high performance" filters. I have a huge one found on Ebay, that was meant as an add-on for an ABB variable frequency drive. I built it into a case with outlets, and it turned out very useful for cleaning up noise in our lab. But I don't think even it would do much down in the audio range.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

And line filters won't do anything to stop radiated noise.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

+1
          It's the EMF of the appliances themselves that gets picked up by sensitive audio gear (like single coil pickups). If you get too much noise without a guitar plugged in then make sure your amp has a cover shield if some kind that creates a fully enclosed box when the chassis is in the cabinet. If the noise problem is only there when a guitar is plugged in then you need better shielding for your guitar. A line filter of any kind can't eliminate EMF from lights and appliances. And this nearly always the source of noise.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X