Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biasing '67 Super Reverb with Weber bias rite...calculator says 47, bias point max 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biasing '67 Super Reverb with Weber bias rite...calculator says 47, bias point max 36

The bias calculator online says 47mA but the Super Reverb set to max is at 36mA.

Why?

Also when using the online Weber bias calculator it mentions something about "bias setting for safe plate dissipation - class A/B 70% Class A 90%"
    Am i suppose to factor this or does the bias calculator do it automatically?

What i am doing is...
    * letting the amp warm up in standby
    *Turning amp on and let bias rite read plate voltage (also setting the calculator tolerances to class A/B and 6L6gc tubes)
    *Clicking the "calculate bias" and reading the mA
    *Then setting the bias on the amp to that mA.

One of the tube adapters on the Bias rite is broken, so i am only reading one of the tubes and going on that as the setting...is all of this correct?
    Thanx

The calculator factors in the 70% or 90% depending on whether you choose class A or class AB, so the 47ma is 70% (of 30 watt max. for 6L6GC) at 450DC plate volts.
    Does the other output tube give the same reading? Are they new tubes?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by gytyr1968 View Post
      The bias calculator online says 47mA but the Super Reverb set to max is at 36mA.

Why?
      the value of the bias resistor (soldered to the back of the bias pot) should be reduced. Is it stock 27K? If so, i would swap it for a 22K and see what your meter reads

Comment

Working...
      X