Adding the Angus Young pickup on the neck of my Iommi Epiphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding the Angus Young pickup on the neck of my Iommi Epiphone

I have the Tony Iommi signature Epiphone and I absolutely love it. However I pretty much always play on the bridge pick up, the neck one is too muddy. I was thinking it would be killer to add Angus Youngs signature pick up to the neck. My question is; Does it make a difference what pick up is positioned where as far as sound goes?

Also apparently Angus' guitar had two of the same pick up. How will a guitar with just one of them sound? As they are not sold in a pair. Sorry if these are dumb questions, complete newb as to customizing a guitar. And yes there is a tech I know who can change them for me.

Here's another thread that discussed the Angus Young Pickups.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t20789/
    Angus uses a regular Classic 57 in the Neck.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks, but that all sounds really technical and reads as gibberish to me lol. All I want to know is will installing this pick up in the bridge or neck position make any difference in sound. Gibson Angus Young Signature Humbucker and more Guitar Pickups & Parts at GuitarCenter.com.

Comment

Originally posted by plissken99 View Post
        Thanks, but that all sounds really technical and reads as gibberish to me lol. All I want to know is will installing this pick up in the bridge or neck position make any difference in sound. Gibson Angus Young Signature Humbucker and more Guitar Pickups & Parts at GuitarCenter.com.
        If you already have the Angus Pickup, It won't hurt to try it in the neck.
        If you don't already have the Pickup, I would not recommend it.
        Because it is too hot, and too much DCR for a neck posistion.
        Higher wound neck pickups do get muddy sounding fast.
        I prefer something in the 7.2k to 7.5k range.
        I like the A2 Magnet.
        You may want to look at the fine neck choices that Seymour Duncan offers.
        Like the Pearly Gates, the Alnico A2 Pro, etc.
        You will have to experiment to come up with what you prefer.
        My own preference is I don't like bridge pickups in neck posistions because of the sounding muddy issue.
        Sorry if I wasn't enough help!
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I agree witrh Terry on this, It took me a number fo pick up changes to realise it was the lower output ones that sounded clearer in the neck position, I now use the Alnico II pro in the neck... and no it doesnt make you just sound like slash

Comment

I see, very helpful. I could have sworn I heard it makes a difference which pick up goes where. Would this be the one? Amazon.com: Seymour Duncan SH-PG1n Pearly Gates Neck Pickup, Nickel Cover: Musical Instruments

Sounds like it would go nicely, although I wish it came in black to match my guitars all black finish. The Alnico 2 doesn't seem to come in the "EMG shape". :-/ Actually while we're talking, I like the bridge pick ups sound so much, what about adding a sustainer to the neck?

Comment

Originally posted by plissken99 View Post
              I see, very helpful. I could have sworn I heard it makes a difference which pick up goes where. Would this be the one? Amazon.com: Seymour Duncan SH-PG1n Pearly Gates Neck Pickup, Nickel Cover: Musical Instruments

Sounds like it would go nicely, although I wish it came in black to match my guitars all black finish. The Alnico 2 doesn't seem to come in the "EMG shape". :-/ Actually while we're talking, I like the bridge pick ups sound so much, what about adding a sustainer to the neck?
              You are correct, on pickup location.
              Most pickup sets have a bridge pickup, and a separte neck pickup.
              Take a look at this chart it shows DCR(DC Resistance) of each pickup.
              Seymour Duncan
              Go down the chart a little ways and you will see all the Humbuckers and it shows the Specs for neck and bridge.
              It also has tone clips on the far right of each pickup.
              Look at the Alnico2 Pros, Pearly Gates, Seth Lovers, 59s, Etc.
              I make my own pickups, and I make a pickup like the Pearly Gates Neck Specs.
              Good Luck,
              Terry
              Last edited by big_teee; 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM.
              Terry

Comment

The A2 Pro is the best sounding neck pickup I've ever tried. I hardly ever used the neck pickup until I got one. To me it sounds more like Clapton's Beano tone than Slash.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
                X